Kids always like pizza, but the delivery ones are loaded with cheese which makes it a ‘fat explosion’ for adults. With the advent of readymade pizza crust, making pizza at home is a huge time-saver and a healthy alternative. In recent times supermarkets have choices for different pizza crust types and we always like to experiment as long as they are made with clean ingredients. Couple of crusts we like are whole wheat and cauliflower. By loading up on a variety of toppings, we can make the pizza too a healthy food choice.
The recipe here uses 2 types of crusts – caulipower or cauliflower crust and rustic Italian crust.
Spinach and cheese are a match made in heaven. It seems very natural to mix up creamy greens with chewy cheese. Here we are marrying spinach + feta and pesto + tofu. Adding feta and tofu adds healthy proteins to the dish. Pesto is very easy to make at home and recipe link is here – Pesto Feta open-face sandwiches
Saute the spinach with fresh jalapeno and garlic which makes it spicy and flavorful. The jalapeno is camouflaged by the spinach which adds to a surprise spice element! Feta is a cheese which can take high heat baking and still retains it shape. The edges of the feta turn light brown giving it a chewy texture.
For the pesto pizza, extra firm tofu is used, which again becomes chewy when baked. I utilized sriracha baked tofu, but regular plain can also be used.
By using frozen spinach and pre-made pesto, the cooking time is greatly reduced and all it takes is assembling and baking them. Done!
Pizza 2 ways recipe
- Caulipower pizza crust
- Rustic Italian pizza crust (or any other pizza crust)
- Frozen spinach 8 oz
- Jalapeno 1
- Garlic 2 pods
- Chopped onion (small) 1
- Cubed feta cheese 1 cup
- Cubed extra firm tofu 1 cup
- Pesto 1 cup
- Shredded cheese 2 tbsps
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
Pizza 1 –
- Remove the pizza crust from package and arrange on cookie sheet to thaw.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet with olive oil, add onions, jalapeno and garlic and saute.
- Squeeze out the spinach and add and mix well. Add Salt to taste. When spinach is dry, turn off the heat.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly on 2 pizza crusts.
- Top with feta cheese cubes.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese to help the spinach stick to the crust.
Pizza 2 –
- Spread pesto evenly on the other 2 pizza crusts.
- Top with tofu cubes. Sprinkle red pepper flakes.
- Bake as per the package instructions for 10-15 minutes until feta cheese lightly browns at the edges.
- Cut into wedges and serve !