Tuesday is always taco day. There are a million and one varieties of taco that can be prepared and enjoyed. Watching these zillion cooking shows, one thing that struck me as a very popular form of taco are “fish tacos”. They are typically served with a slaw and a tartar sauce. I have never tried fish tacos myself, so I cannot say how close to the original this recipe comes….. However, marinated, air-fried tofu in a taco… that is going to be good nevertheless. 😜
Let’s start with tofu and marinate it with Asian inspired flavors – I used Massaman curry paste along with mustard paste, sriracha, and sesame paste.
Massaman paste recipe here – you can always use store bought for a quickie 🤷🏻♀️
Step 1 – Air fry the tofu and set it aside
Step 2 – Make the slaw with just cabbage, carrots, cilantro, jalapeño, and a squeeze of lemon – very simple and fresh.
Step 3 – Tartar sauce with sour cream, chopped dill pickles, parsley, and garlic.
Note – I used almond sour cream and could practically not tell the difference
Heat up some sprouted-grain tortillas – I love Angelic bake house with its pretty colors. I directly fire-char the tortillas which also give them a nice flavor.
Present the ingredients for your Taco as a buffet – Tortilla, fried tofu, slaw, and Tartar sauce
Serve with a side of freshly smashed guacamole – recipe here
Make your own art on your plate with these gorgeous colors. Enjoy!
Tofu taco with cabbage slaw and tartar sauce
- Air Fryer
- 9 Tortilla
- 12 oz Tofu extra firm
Marinade for Tofu –
- 1 tbsp Massaman curry paste optional
- 1 tbsp Mustard paste
- 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame paste
- 4 tbsps Oil
Cabbage slaw ingredients –
- 1 cup Cabbage (green) finely shredded
- 1 cup Carrots julienned
- 1 tbsp Cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
Tartar sauce ingredients –
- 1 cup Sour cream Vegan option – Almond cream
- 2 Dill pickles finely chopped
- 2 tbsps Parsley finely chopped
- 1 pod Garlic finely chopped
- Mix the slaw ingredients well and set aside
- Mix the Tartar sauce ingredients well in another dish and set aside
- Drain the tofu completely and cut into rectangular pieces of size 3 by 2 inches
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl and marinate the tofu and set aside for 10 minutes
- Air fry the tofu at 380 degrees for 10-15 minutes turning over once in between
- Toast the tortilla directly on an open flame and arrange on a serving tray
- Present the ingredients for your Taco as a buffet – Tortilla, fried tofu, slaw and Tartar sauce
- Serve with a side of freshly smashed guacamole