VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, NUT-FREE
One vegetable that is a summer blessing is zucchini. It is available in plentiful and can be used in many ways. Zucchini muffins are very easy to bake and goes well as a breakfast item or as a side to robust soups.
I used whole wheat flour along with spelt flour to make a whole grain food. Cheese can be added optionally but I wanted to enjoy the wholesome goodness of zucchini without overpowering it with any other additions. They have a golden brown hue and are flaky outside with a soft moist interior, achieved purely by the goodness of zucchini.
The spice adds a kick and the Italian seasoning a mild flavor without taking away the subtlety of zucchini.
These muffins are a simple 1-2-3 process and take just 10 minutes to assemble and bake, including shredding the zucchini.
Enjoy these muffins as an ‘any-time’ snack during the summer. Kid-approved as well!
Zucchini whole grain muffins
Dry Ingredients –
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Spelt flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Hot chilly powder
- Salt to taste
Wet Ingredients –
- 1 cup Zucchini shredded, squeezed and patted dry
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- 1 tsp Maple syrup
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and set aside;Mix all the wet ingredients
- Add the dry mixture little by little to the wet mixture and combine lightly
- Line a mini muffin pan with muffin cups Scoop the mixture into the muffin pan cups
- Bake at 450 degrees hot oven for 12 minutes – until tops are light golden
- Turn off oven and leave inside for 3 more minutes
- Remove from oven and rest on counter for 5 minutes