Topped with roasted cauliflower.
This dish is my version of the Stroganoff – VEGAN Style.
Recently one of my fellow bloggers had posted an authentic Stroganoff recipe. I was quite intrigued and wondered how I had not come across it thus far. It was a wholesome dish which can be easily prepared VEGAN. I also brought in a crunchy cauliflower topping and eliminated the cheese.
The steps to assembling this dish is very easy. Since it can be prepared in a large batch it can be made in advance and used as a main dish to serve a large crowd.
Don’t miss out on the making video at the end of this post!
Lets get going – what we need –
Half-cooked pasta – use any type of thick cut noodles, egg noodles are the original choice so look for vegan options that look similar
Loads of mushrooms – caramelized
Red Onions – caramelized
Green peas (optional)
Cauliflower – oven-roasted and used on top as the crunchy topping
Vegan white sauce made with Almond milk – recipe link
Seasoning of choice – fresh parsley and basil (I did not have fresh herbs in stock and so used dried ones)
Start off with the part-cooked noodles in a large rectangular casserole dish. Add the onions, green peas, mushrooms and the seasoning. Add plenty of white sauce and mix thoroughly to coat the noodles. Finally top with the roasted cauliflowers and bake for a good 30-40 minutes until bubbly. The tops of the noodles will also crisp up and provide a mixture of textures.
I made a large batch and we were scrapping the bottom of the pan pretty quickly! This is going to be a new favorite in our house and an easy go-to recipe for sure.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! 🥂🍾🎉🎊
Baked Pasta with caramelized mushrooms
- Rectangular glass baking dish
- 4 cups Noodles half-cooked
- 4 cups White sauce LINK PROVIDED
- 2 Red Onions sliced caramelized
- 1 lb Mushrooms sliced caramelized
- 1 cup Green Peas Thawed if using frozen
- 2 cups Cauliflower florets
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
- In a large cookie sheet spread the cauliflower florets evenly, coat with olive oil and salt and bake for 10-15 until crisp; remove and set aside
- Take a large rectangular glass dish suitable for baking
- Add the noodles, onions, peas and mushrooms
- Add the white sauce and give it a good toss
- Top with crisped cauliflower
- Bake without a lid at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes until edges of the noodles are slightly crisp
- The sauce should be incorporated into the noodles and should not be runny
- Enjoy it with a classic Italian salad and a glass of red wine 🍷