VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE
As we go through the last few days of Winter weather that is refusing to leave us and we enjoy the beautiful Spring breeze, my appetite always go towards soups, whether it be flavorful broths or robust, creamy soup. Today, my mood was to make a rich, creamy soup. Delicious soups in most restaurants are topped with heavy cream which is not only loaded with calories but also tends to make us feel very heavy after a meal. To me, soups should not make you feel over-full 🤷🏻♀️.
The soup of choice is creamy mushroom orzo soup, my variation on the wild rice and mushroom soup. A couple of things to note here. First, the orzo I used was made from cassava and was gluten-free. Secondly, the creaminess in this soup was achieved by utilizing rich cashew milk and a cheese sauce made with Nutritional yeast.
This dish is both VEGAN and GLUTEN-FREE. Visually, it is very creamy and rich but you will not feel that when you taste it. The dish was wholesome and all that we had for dinner, nothing else.
This dish has a total of 6 ingredients –
garlic and celery for flavor;
mushroom and orzo for the ‘meat’;
cashew milk and nutritional yeast for the creaminess
This dish comes together in under 30 minutes using the InstantPot. While the soup is cooking on the InstantPot, prepare the cheese sauce on the stove. Add the cheese sauce to the Pot and add more cashew milk to adjust consistency.
Check out these other Soups on InstantPot as well –
Sumptuous creamy mushroom soup – VEGAN
Hello Autumn – Tomato Pumpkin soup
Creamy mushroom and orzo soup
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- 2 cups Vegetable stock
- 2 cups Mushrooms cut into quarters
- 2 cups Orzo pasta – uncooked gluten-free
- 5 pods Garlic sliced
- 4 stalks Celery sliced
- 1 Jalapeno sliced
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning optional
- 1 cup Cashew milk
- 1 cup Nutritional yeast
- Start an InstantPot with Olive oil
- Add garlic, celery & jalapeño and saute for a bit
- Add mushrooms, orzo, seasoning and vegetable stock
- Cook with pressure for 8 minutes
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and then release pressure
- Meanwhile, start a small saucepan and mix the cashew milk and nutritional yeast
- Heat on low until the cheese sauce is thick and creamy
- Once the InstantPot is opened, add the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly
- Add more cashew milk for desired consistency
1 thought on “Creamy mushroom and orzo soup”