Great with any protein or potato as well
VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE
Citrus flavors are very appetizing and here is a dish where a combination of Lemon juice and orange peel gives it a beautiful aroma and a tangy taste. Protein is best absorbed by the body when it is combined with Calcium. This is something that is very traditional in India – all dals (lentils) are served with a squeeze of fresh lemon 🤷🏻♀️ Don’t we always say, do what your grandmom did!
I used Tofu for this simple dish which can be served as an appetizer. Make it with a little bit more gravy and it goes superbly with rice or even breads.
This dish will only take 10 minutes to toss up. Prepare the protein by grilling it, frying it or just keeping it plain. First, grind garlic, peppercorns, orange peel, almonds, and lemon juice to a smooth paste. Almonds give a beautiful texture in addition to boosting the protein content. (If you do not have almonds handy you can use almond flour instead). Fry this paste for a few minutes on low heat, add the protein and coat.
Note – It will also be a great side dish when prepared with boiled, diced potatoes
Try these other dishes with tofu –
Lemon Pepper tofu
- 2 cups Tofu cubed and pan-fried
- Fresh ground pepper powder for garnish
For the Gravy-
- 1/2 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1 tbsp Peppercorns
- 4 pods Garlic
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 2 tbsps Orange rind
- 2 tbsps Lemon Juice
- Grind the gravy ingredients to a fine paste
- Start a skillet with 1 tsp oil
- Add the paste and fry on very low flame for 2 minutes
- Add the tofu cubes and toss to coat, season with salt
- Simmer for just 2 mins, garnish with fresh sprinkling of pepper powder and Serve!