VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, NUT-FREE
Make these easy peasy delicacies for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is what I would call “Instant food”. Just mix and prepare.
👉 Ragi is the Tamil name for Finger millet
👉 Rye is a grain which is very similar to wheat and barley
👉 Uthappam is the Tamil name for Pancakes
Both these ingredients are powerhouses of nutrition. They are whole grains and keep us satisfied for a good period of time.
This recipe just mixes readily available flours with flavorful aromatics and vegetables to make delicious uthappam or pancakes.
Take equal portions of Finger millet (ragi) flour and Rye flour. Add ginger, curry leaves, green chillies and coriander leaves. Add shredded vegetables of choice, I used julienned carrots which I had in the fridge. Mix well with water. Now sprinkle baking soda on the top and drizzle water; when it bubbles up, mix to combine and start making the pancakes immediately. This step is very critical to have fluffy pancakes. Don’t let the batter sit after mixing baking soda.
Pour into small rounds and fry on both sides until golden with sesame oil. These pancakes make for sumptuous breakfast with a hot cup of ginger chai. Yummy!!Try this other easy pancakes and uthappams –
Pink Lentil pancake (Masoor dal uthappam)
Oats pancakes with purple cabbage
Rye Ragi uthappam
- Cast iron Griddle
- 1 cup Finger millet flour
- 1 cup Rye flour
- 1/2 cup Carrots Julienned
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- Sesame Oil for frying
- Ginger grated
- Green Chillies chopped
- Cilantro chopped
- Curry Leaves
- Mix the flours together with salt
- Add the aromatics and carrots and add just enough water to make a smooth batter
- Next heat a cast-iron skillet
- While the pan is getting hot, sprinkle baking soda on top of the batter and drizzle water
- When it bubbles up, mix lightly
- Pour ladles of batter on the hot griddle and drizzle some oil
- Fry to golden brown on both sides
- Enjoy for breakfast with a hot cup of chai