Gothsu is a very simple stew made with any combination of vegetables. Usually potatoes and eggplants find a place along with fresh tomatoes. I am using a combination fo white sweet potatoes and large eggplant.
The leading flavor in this dish is ginger. The only other spice added is cumin powder.
The vegetables are diced into small cubes and cooked in mild tamarind sauce. Delicately seasoned with ginger and green chillies and garnished with fresh coriander leaves or cilantro.
This simplistic dish goes very well with savory Venn pongal –
- Potato or sweet potato (diced small) 2
- Large Eggplant (diced small) 1
- Onion (finely chopped) (optional) 1
- Green pepper (capsicum) (finely chopped) 1
- Ginger (shredded) 1 tsp
- Green chillies 3
- Tamarind paste 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Seasoning ingredients –
- mustard seeds 1 tsp
- cumin seeds 1 tsp
- roasted split chickpeas 1 tsp
- Raw peanuts 1 tsp
- Heat a saucepan, add oil and mustard seeds and let the mustard splatter
- Add the other seasoning ingredients and fry to light brown color
- Add ginger and green chillies
- Add onions and fry for 1-2 minutes
- Add green pepper and fry for 1-2 minutes
- Add the sweet potatoes, eggplant, tamarind paste, salt and 2 cups of water, put a lid and cook until the potatoes are cooked
- Add the cumin powder and simmer for 3 minutes
- Gothsu is ready to be enjoyed with Venn pongal !