As we all go back to normal life, or life as we knew it, we are going to start preparing lunches for kids and for that matter … adults too !! One easy pleaser lunch is grilled cheese sandwich. Before you start to think – what is the need for a post for grilled cheese sandwich ?? … this is no ordinary sandwich. It is gourmet, it is loaded with cheese and flavor and believe me … it will totally be adult-approved 😆🤪
My kids always say they look forward to special lunches and surprises in their lunch box… this will totally wow them during a heavily loaded school day.
Start with a good deli bread – we love to use sourdough for this.
Next pick a variety of 3 cheeses – suggestions include – goat cheese, feta cheese, fresh mozzarella, pepper jack, sharp cheddar !!!!
The selection used here are Pepper jack deli slices, feta cheese and soft snacking cheese
Now for the secret ingredient – hot pepper sauce drizzled in between the cheese … M.. MM … MMM 😉 …. remember – reach for the ketchup for the faint hearted or the little kid that you are packing for !
Grilled to perfect golden with a spread of butter – go for the olive oil if making for adults. The fat is absolutely necessary so it stays crisp yet juicy for the afternoon lunch. This also ensures the sandwich can be consumed at room temperature, although packing in a hot pack will just be perfect for these gourmet beauties !
Gourmet grilled (triple) cheese sandwich
- 8 Slices Sourdough bread fresh bakery
- 4 Slices Deli Pepperjack cheese
- 2 tbsps Feta cheese slices
- 3 snacking Cheese rounds ripped into pieces
- 2 tsp red pepper sauce
- 2 tsp Ketchup
- Butter or Olive oil
- Take a large cast iron pan and spread a thin layer of butter or olive oil
- As the fat heats up, layer the bread slices on top
- After it crisps up a bit, turn the bread slices over
- Now spread the cheeses one by one – pepper jack slice, followed by snacking cheese pieces
- Next drizzle the hot sauce on 2 of the slices and ketchup on 2 of them
- Finally spread the pieces of feta cheese on top
- Put the 2nd bread on top and press to seal
- Turn the sandwich over and crisp up to a light golden brown
- Cut the sandwich into half, wrap in butter paper and put into a hot pack for lunch !