VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, VEGETARIAN, PEANUT-FREE
I probably have mentioned this many times 😇 my twelve year old and I love to bake together. Our best times together are when we are in the mood to experiment, just rummage through our pantry and fridge and come up with wacky ideas to bake goodies. I personally don’t have a sweet tooth but everyone else does 🤪 our sweet-treats are always low on added sugars and we try to use natural ingredients to enhance the sweetness.
As we come to close of summer (SIGH!) and get ready to begin our school year, one afternoon my little one suggested we bake some cookies. While he got down to the business of making his Chocolate chip cookies – several batches to stow away for upcoming school day evening treats… I got down to try out something else!!
I always find orange based sweets very appetizing and wanted to try out something with marmalade. The light bitterness from the marmalade completed all the taste profiles such as sweet, spicy, sour and bitter in this cookie. I added cardamom for the earthy spice. There are no added sugars in this cookie – between the marmalade and the raisins there was plenty of sweetness. This cookie is the perfect teatime snack…..
Note – I used an Orange marmalade which did not have any added sugars, only sweetened with orange juice
Orange Marmalade cookies
- 1.5 cups Spelt flour gluten-free variety
- 1 tbsp Tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 3/4 cup Orange marmalade
- 1/2 tsp Orange extract
- Salt a pinch
- Mix the flour, tapioca powder, baking soda, cardamom powder and salt and mix well
- In another bowl, mix the marmalade with orange extract, raisins and almonds
- Slowly add the powder into the wet mixture and combine to form a cookie batter
- If the batter is too thick, sprinkle spoons of milk Note – Use non-dairy milk for a vegan option
- In a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, soop out cookies and place them 2 inches apart
- Bake in a hot oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes
- Turn off oven and leave it inside for another 5 minutes to obtain desired crispness
- If soft cookies are preferred, take it out after baking and let it rest on counter for 15 minutes
- Orange marmalade cookies are ready to enjoy!