VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE
Cabbage soup – this somehow never showed up in our list of soups – there’s always a first time 🙂
To tell the truth, the off-putting smell of cooked cabbage, blended into a soup did not seem appetizing. Apparently, there are a lot of health benefits of cabbage, especially to aid with weight loss. So to gain more knowledge, I referred to my lovely soulmate from school (we were inseparable!) – Supriya Arun – who is a practicing nutritionist in Mumbai, India to provide me more insights.
For more details – http://www.heal-thy-living.co.in Instagram handle – #Heal_thy_livingindia
So how to incorporate cabbage as the main ingredient in a soup and yet supplement with other aromas that will remove its predominant flavor. Celery to the rescue. Celery is one vegetable which works wonders in a soup and makes it immensely appetizing. It also does not add any other leading taste and so it is very easy to incorporate into soups. On the aromatics area – incorporating ginger brings in additional flavor and some earthy heat. Parsley also brings in another depth of flavor – use any herb of preference. Bring in a potato to add some thickness. Optionally some pink lentils (masoor dal) can be added to make it a complete meal by itself.
Recently, there is one gadget that I am totally loving – immersion hand blender. This is yet another gadget that was gifted to me recently and was thinking this one is going to be sitting around collecting dust. I was wrong! The hand blender has been put to good use for blending soups right in the pot itself. It does take a little bit of technique to get used to and not spray soup all over the kitchen 😁
This soup is very easy to prepare – all of the ingredients are loaded up in the InstantPot and cooked. Let it cool and using the immersion blender, blend it to a smooth consistency. (I typically don’t strain my soup since I feel all the good fiber is removed) Now add Oat milk for the creaminess and a cup of lentils (optional) to make it a well-rounded dish. Return to cook for just a few minutes and soup is ready.
Serve this soup for a complete weeknight meal which comes together in under 30 minutes with no baby sitting. Pair it up with a simple crostini or just croutons.
Cabbage Celery soup
- 2 cups Cabbage green chopped coarsely
- 2 cups Celery chopped coarsely
- 1 Potato chopped
- 1 Shallot chopped
- 3 pods Garlic
- 1 tbsp Ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp Parsley
- 2 cups Vegetable stock optional – use water in its place
- 2 cups Oat milk
- 1 cup Pink Lentils Masoor dhall
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Start a large InstantPot on SAUTE mode and add some olive oil
- Add the shallots, ginger, garlic and parsley and give it a spin
- Turn heat to MANUAL
- Add celery, cabbage, potato and the vegetable stock or water;Add Salt
- Put it to cook for 8 minutes
- Once done, open the InstantPot and let it cool down for a few minutes
- Using an Immersion Blender, carefully blend in the pot to a smooth consistency
- Now add the oat milk and lentils and put it back to cook for 5 minutes
- Once done, soup is ready to be served. Add fresh cracked pepper if preferred.
2 thoughts on “Cabbage Celery soup”
Looks great! I will try.