2 flours and apple-sauce – that’s practically all it takes to bake these amazing churros.
Churros has to be the perfect Mexican dessert. It can be elevated and is also the humble street food. Dipping crunchy churros in warm chocolate sauce has to be the best fix after a Fall evening walk on a nippy evening…. IMAGINE THAT 😁
Churros are deep-fried. So lets make this better and healthy 😇
Gluten-free – use a mixture of almond flour and brown rice flour. The only sweetener is Apple sauce which also works as the fat component. We are not using any butter or oils.
My 12 year old came up with this recipe and completely executed it. I probably only helped him a bit with the piping work. He went over the churros with a fork to make the beautiful dents.
This is a very easy recipe, sift the dry ingredients, add the apple sauce and knead it to a nice fluffy dough. Chilling the dough makes sure the extra moisture is absorbed and it is ready for piping. I used a simple sandwich bag and cut a 1 inch corner and piped the churros on to parchment paper.
We sprinkled sugar mixed with cinnamon powder on the churros to add some extra sweetness. (…. we brought our brown sugar stashed deep into our pantry just for a treat…. We don’t use sugar at all!) Keep in mind adding some fat element is necessary if you want the sugar to stick, we did not want to do that so our sugar pretty much rolled off the churros when we picked it up. It just looked pretty 😻
Serve these gogeous beauties with warm chocolate sauce made with 2 ingredients – recipe here. 🧉
BAKED Churros – VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE and OIL-FREE
- 1 cup Almond flour fine ground
- 1/4 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 2 tbsps Tapioca flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 4 tbsps Apple sauce
- 2 tbsps Maple syrup
- Mix the 3 flours together along with Cinnamon powder and sea salt Make a well in the center and add the maple syrup and apple sauce Mix to a fluffy doughChill in refridgerator for minimum 20 minutes
- Take a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Take a sandwich bag and cut a 1-inch corner Pipe the churros into 3-inch long strips and cut the dough with a scissors
- Take a fork and make ridges on the top
- Bake at 350 degrees hot oven for 15 minutesRemove the tray, turn churros over and return to bake for 8-10 minutes until it turns golden brown in color
- Remove and sprinkle cinnamon sugar all over Let it cool for 10 minutes
- Serve churros with warm chocolate sauce – recipe here