This dish spells out Farmer’s Eggs and is a popular dish from Mexico. My version of this dish uses Whole Grain English muffins, well-done fried eggs and smothered avocadoes. I love avocadoes, I can slice them and eat them plain. Start off this dish with a good base, I have seen variations of this recipe with soft tortillas, crispy tortillas, bread slices etc. I find the size of an english muffin just perfect to hold a single fried egg and all the delicious toppings. This also allows for folks to indulge in Seconds and Thirds… which in our home is very common with 2 growing boys !
The spread on the top is a mix of flavors we enjoy – combination of spicy mustard, ketchup and tahini. Go wild with your own imagination, anything soggy on top finishes this dish with all its creamy goodness. Simple salsa or pico di galla will also work to keep it very authentic.
Here’s waking up to a healthy breakfast !
Huevos Rancheros recipe
- Whole Grain english muffins 3
- Cheese slices (optional) 6
- Eggs 6
- Avocado (small) 3
- Spicy Mustard 2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup 1 tbsp
- Tahini sauce 2 tbsp
- Fry eggs 3 at a time on a cast iron skillet. Eggs can be cooked to individual preference. We do not like runny eggs so our eggs are cooked both sides to well-done.
- Start by toasting the english muffins in a toaster
- Mash avocados, adding salt and pepper to season
- Make an assembly line of English muffins, cheese slices, fried eggs, avocado mash and spread. In the same order top the english muffins with cheese and fried eggs. Top with a scoop of avocado. Finally add a dollop of spread on top.
Finish off with a sprinkling of pepper powder or red pepper flakes. Yummy !