Mac n Cheese is a comfort food essentially combining pasta and cheese sauce. It is easy food for toddlers and has been a staple go-to food because of its simplicity and neutral appeal. But the pasta is all white carbs and does not add much nutrition. By picking a wholegrain pasta and making the cheese sauce with wholesome ingredients, we can elevate the mundane mac n cheese to something that can be enjoyed equally by everyone. This can easily be served as a side dish or main course for a Holiday celebration.
Whole wheat elbow pasta is selected for this recipe. The cheese sauce is basic White sauce enhanced with creamy goat cheese. There are 2 secret ingredients which adds a tangy taste profile to this dish – pasta sauce and cream cheese. Both of these ingredients are added in small quantities where they remain the ‘secret’ yet provide a surprise addition to the palate. Guests will be wondering about the unique tangy flavor in the mac n cheese long after dinner is done! Simple flavor enhancers such as garlic and rosemary provide mild flavor without overpowering the dish. Optionally add a liberal squirt of sriracha for some heat…. totally your choice !
Add a grilled vegetable and a simple salad to complete an Italian dinner.
Suggested Choices – grilled asparagus and cherry tomato salad.
Mac n Cheese recipe
- Whole Wheat Elbow pasta 16 oz
- Goat cheese 4 oz
- Whipped cream cheese 2 tbsps
- Pasta tomato sauce 2 tbsps
- Milk 1 cup
- Flavor enhancers – garlic pods (4), rosemary sprigs (2)
- For the White sauce – 2 tbsps butter, 1 tbsp flour, 1 cup milk
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions, drain and set aside.
- Heat a saucepan on medium heat, add 2 tbsps of butter.
- Add chopped garlic and rosemary and let its perfume infuse the butter.
- Add the flour and fry lightly, then reduce flame completely and add the milk while stirring.
- As the milk thickens, add the goat cheese, cream cheese and pasta sauce. Mixture until the cheeses are fully mixed in.
- Now add the pasta, season with salt and mix to coat pasta completely.
- Add 1 cup of milk and mix well to creamy texture.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and sprinkle parmesan cheese.
2 thoughts on “Humble Mac n Cheese tweaked for the Holidays”