with ‘invisible’ Cauliflower pearls
VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE OPTION
5 ingredient VEGAN Mac n Cheese that is absolutely good for you? Yes! This beauty will be ready to hit the dinner table in under 30 minutes. READ ON!
Mac n Cheese is comfort food from toddlers to adults. I probably have said this before. I can still remember opening up the Mac n Cheese packets and pouring hot water on the pasta and sprinkling the powder cheese. Life has come a long way since then and have learned quite a bit with all my escapades with food and cooking. The pasta in those readymade boxes are completely ‘white’ pasta and not something I pick these days. Dehydrated cheese powder… the less said the better 😬. Nowadays, we have a variety of alternate whole grain and gluten-free pastas which are absolutely delicious and nutritious.
Now let’s focus on how Mac n Cheese is really easy to make at home, keeping it healthy for all. Let’s begin with an alternate choice of pasta – today’s pick is chickpea pasta in shells shape. The color of this pasta stays quite close to the regular white pasta (in case of picky eaters who first eat with their eyes! 👀
Next, let’s build a simple and creamy sauce with Cashew Milk and Cashew cream – VEGAN – yes!!!
This Mac n Cheese also adds a mild flavor in the form of delicate ‘hen of the woods’ mushrooms. We absolutely love mushrooms! I always try out different varieties of mushrooms and each one adds a unique twist and taste to dishes.
Also depth and texture is enhanced by bringing in cauliflower pearls.
Start off by sautéing the mushrooms. Add the cauliflower pearls. Prepare the white sauce right on top of the sautéed vegetables. Add the cooked pasta and toss it together. Season with cracked fresh pepper for the indulging adult and skip it for the children. It’s a beautiful dish and kids will lap it up due to the different and unique texture and, of course, the amazing taste 😜. YUMMY!
Shells Mac n Cheese – VEGAN! with ‘invisible’ Cauliflower pearls
- 16 oz Shells pasta Chickpea preferred
- 1 cup Hen of the Woods mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 cups Cauliflower pearls
- 2 cups Cashew milk
- 1/2 cup Cashew cream
- 1 tbsp plain Flour gluten-free option cornflour
- 2 tbsps Olive oil or Vegan butter
- Start a large pot of hot water and cook the pasta to only 3/4 of the time mentioned to keep it well-al-dente
- Simultaneously, start a large dutch oven and drizzle some olive oil
- Add the mushrooms and the cauliflower pearls and sauté for a good 5 minute until lightly cooked
- Sprinkle the flour and fry for a minute
- Add the cashew milk and mix well and bring to a soft boil
- As it thickens, reduce the heat and add the cashew cream and completely blend into a creamy sauce
- Add the cooked shells, season with salt and fresh cracked pepper
- This beauty is ready to indulge with no guilt!