On dreary and cold winter nights, all we want are meals which make us feel warm inside and outside. Steaming bowls of hot soups are ideal for such nights. A lot of flavor can be packed in a short amount of time by preparing soups using the InstantPot.
Coconut milk soup and Skillet corn bread is the combination we are presenting here. Both these items were put together for dinner by my 2 sons, the teenager assembled the soup in the InstantPot, the pre-teen mixed all ingredients for the corn bread. All I did was help with some chopping and handling the oven. Nice !
Coconut milk soup is the very flavorful broth that is offered as an appetizer before we delve into rich Thai food. This soup is a simple broth but intense in aroma. Basic vegetables such as mushroom and tofu might find its way into the soup. We are going to make this soup substantial enough to be served as a main course for dinner. For this we bring in a secret ingredient – lentils. Use only pink lentils which completely dissolves and will not modify the texture of the soup.
Vegetables such zucchini, squash, mushrooms etc. work very well in this soup. Include tofu to amp-up the protein content. Celery and spring onions are used to enhance the flavor. Main seasoning elements are fresh ginger and garlic. By bringing in jalapeno, we add a touch of spice. If available lemongrass can be added for additional fragrance and taste. A touch of Bangkok seasoning or 5 spice can also be added as enhancements – this is totally optional.
Dried shiitake mushrooms were used here by re-hydrating them in warm water. The water was added along with the broth to enhance the mushroom flavor.
Finally a surprise element – before serving add finely chopped fresh cucumber to provide an extra crunch. This truly will be a surprising bite !
Enjoy this soup with a wedge of Skillet Corn Bread – Skillet Corn bread
Coconut Milk soup recipe
- Vegetable stock 32 oz
- Coconut milk (thin) 32 oz
- Pink lentils 1 cup
- Celery (chopped) ½ cup
- Spring onions stalk (chopped) ½ cup
- Garlic 10 pods
- Ginger (shredded) 2 tbsp
- Jalapeno (sliced) 2
- Shiitake mushrooms (sliced) 1 cup
- Firm Tofu diced 1 cup
- Vegetables diced (zucchini, squash) 1 cup
- Cucumber (diced) 2 tbsps
- Spring onion greens (as garnish) 2 tbsps
- Start the InstantPot on HIGH.
- Add 1 tsp of oil – add garlic, ginger and jalapeno.
- Add celery, mushrooms and spring onion stalks. Fry for about a min.
- Add the vegetable stock, mushroom liquid, lentils, 2 cups of coconut milk.
- Add salt to taste. Put lid on and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once cook time reached, remove from power and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then release pressure and open the pot. Now add the tofu and close the lid. Let it sit until ready to serve.
- Before serving, add the spring onion greens and fresh cucumber on top and serve.
Piping hot coconut milk soup is ready to warm you up !