Corn bread is a satisfying side that goes very well with any soup. It also makes for a scrumptious breakfast. By preparing it in a cast iron skillet, we get a nice crunchy exterior which is very unique to cast iron cooking. The directions are very straightforward. Just take care when handling a very hot cast iron skillet. Relish !
Skillet Corn Bread recipe
Dry Ingredients –
- Corn meal fine 1 ¼ cup
- Whole Wheat Flour ¾ cup
- Flaxmeal 1 tbsp
- Baking Powder 2 tsp
- Baking Soda ½ tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
Wet Ingredients –
- Olive Oil ½ cup
- Maple syrup 1 tbsp
- Buttermilk 1 cup
- Butter 2 tbsps
- Take a 9 inch cast iron skillet and add the butter.
- Put it in a hot oven at 425 degrees for 3 minutes until butter has melted.
- Remove carefully and place it outside. (It will be very hot, so place it on a stovetop)
- Mix all dry ingredients together – cornmeal, flour, flaxmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt – keep aside.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a separate bowl – olive oil, maple syrup, buttermilk and beat softly until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and combine completely without over mixing.
- Pour directly into hot skillet with the butter and flatten the top.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a fork comes out clean in the center and edges are golden brown.
- Remove to stovetop and let sit for 5 minutes.
Cut into wedges and serve with a hot soup or enjoy as a snack.