Farro is a grain which is very similar to wheat, it resembles barley when cooked. It is a whole grain since the outer bran layer is still intact. It comes with a lot of nutritional benefits such as fiber, protein and a good bit of zinc and magnesium. Not to forget the antioxidants. Farro being a whole grain, keeps you satiated for a long time and is a very good choice for weight loss.
Farro has a very nutty and chewy texture and can be cooked just like rice in a rice cooker. This grain needs double measure of water to cook al dente (cooked so as to be still firm when bitten). Farro is served warm in this preparation. It combines a medley of roasted root vegetables with fresh sautéed veggies such as bell peppers (capsicum) and mushrooms.
This dish has 3 layers – first one is the farro layer. Farro is toasted slightly and cooked along with corn in a rice cooker.
The second layer is the roasted root vegetables – use any combination of potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, yucca etc. Roast them to a crisp texture.
The third layer is sautéed veggies. Saute a combination of onions, bell peppers and mushrooms until the mushrooms are cooked.
Arrange the 3 layers on a large serving plate. Serve warm.
Farro with Root vegetables recipe
- Farro – 1 cup
- Corn – 1/2 cup
- Root vegetables – 2 cups
- Red onion – sliced – 1/2 cup
- Bell peppers – sliced – 1 cup
- Mushrooms – sliced – 1 cup
- Toast the farro with a teaspoon of olive oil, cook with 2 cups of water in rice cooker along with corn. Season with salt.
- Stir fry the root vegetables on high heat to obtain a nice crunchy roast. Alternatively they can be roasted in the oven for 10 mins with olive oil and salt.
- Saute red onions first, then add bell peppers and saute for 3 minutes. Finally add the mushroom and cook until they are done.
- To serve – take a wide serving dish, spread the farro first. Top it with crunchy root vegetables along the edges. Pile up the sautéed vegetables in the center. Serve with all 3 layers.
This dish goes very well with a main pasta course.