Ovo-vegetarians in India include eggs in their diet and there are several Indian dishes which incorporate them. Eggs are usually cooked, boiled or scrambled and then mixed with Indian curry and spices. In this variation, the eggs are cooking in the gravy while simmering wherein the eggs absorb the spicy notes. The eggs get poached in the curry and are suitable to be enjoyed with bread or rice. Layered Indian bread called ‘lacha paratha’ or ‘ south Indian parotta’ go exceptionally well with this egg curry.
This preparation needs a lot of juices for the eggs to cook in, so use plenty of fresh or canned tomatoes. A simple paste is freshly prepared and added to the gravy to give that extra Indian zing.
This is a very straightforward preparation, try it and send me your comments.
Poached Egg curry recipe
- Eggs whole 6
- Onion (chopped) Large 1
- Tomatoes (chopped) 6
- To be made into a paste – 2 baby carrots, 4 green chillies, 3 gloves garlic, cilantro stalks, 2 tbsps greek yogurt, 2 tbsps slivered almonds
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Bay leaves 4-5
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Take a flat bottomed skillet, Add oil and add the cumin seeds.
- When it turns color, add the bay leaves and onions, put a lid and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric powder, put a lid and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the paste, 1 cup of water and mix well. The gravy should be a nice consistency and not runny.
- Now slowly break open the eggs one by one directly in the gravy taking care to keep it together in a ball.
- Put the lid on and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Open and move the eggs slightly if it is sticking to bottom and check if it is completely white and cooked. If need cook for 5 more minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala on top and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy the modified egg curry with warm bread.