Donuts is definitely an all American treat and curious if it is enjoyed in any other part of the world 🙂 Although the original recipe might have come from Europe, the present shape with a hole was completely an American sailor’s idea. He did not like the center of ‘cakes’ being ‘doughy’ so he punched a hole in the middle. Pure genius ! The hole is the reason why the donuts are perfectly cooked all through. Donuts are deep-fried in oil and then dipped in sugar syrup or chocolate sauce.
Donuts are obviously not something I would reach out for, but an occasional indulgence. …. How about making the donut healthy ? Seriously ? YES ! Lets bake it !
This recipe is yet another completely our own original creation. Maybe call it LAAA LAAA Donuts 🙂 I am beginning to like this name a lot ! WINK WINK M 😉 Trademark ?
It has the same spongy texture as regular donuts, chocolaty goodness and can also be dipped in chocolate sauce. It is a triple chocolate delight, cacao + chocolate chips + chocolate sauce. Decadent ! It is sweetened with date paste and made with whole wheat pastry flour. Need I say more ?
Donut molds are available online and in kitchen gadget stores, but these can also be made in little cups or muffin trays. They just wont look like classic donuts, they taste absolutely the same !
Baked Donuts recipe
Ingredients – Makes 6 regular size or 12 mini donuts
- Whole Wheat pastry flour ½ cup
- Cacao powder 2 tbsps
- Chocolate chips minis ½ cup
- Flax meal 1 tbsp
- Tapioca flour 1 tbsp
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Baking Salt ¼ tsp
- Salt ¼ tsp
- Milk ½ cup
- Olive oil 2 tbsps
- Date paste (very thick) 1/3 cup
- or Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract ½ tsp
- Mix all the dry ingredients and set aside
- Mix all the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients little by little and mix it completely.
- If the batter is thick, add 2 tbsps of milk, it should be in dropping consistency.
- Grease donut molds with butter. Fill only half the molds, where the hole is completely visible.
- Bake at 350 degrees Hot oven for 10 mins.
- Turn off the oven and leave the donuts inside for 5 more mints.
- Take out and cool completely.
- Turn the mold around and the donuts should pop right out.
- Dip in chocolate sauce on one half side and let it rest.
CHOCOLATE SAUCE RECIPE –
Ingredients – 1 cup cacao powder, 1 cup maple syrup and 1 cup water.
Mix all 3 ingredients together and simmer on low flame for 10 minutes. Watch the sauce as it thickens and turn it off after about 10-15 minutes cooking time. Cool and store it in glass jars in refrigerator.
Can be added to hot milk and enjoyed as Hot cocoa.
2 thoughts on “Donuts – healthy ?? yes, really …… BAKED !!”
Ooooh these look really good! 🙂
Oh so yum!