Brussel sprouts belong to the Cruciferous family of vegetables which have Cancer fighting ingredients. Some of the other vegetables in this family are cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, kale etc.
Cruciferous vegetables like the cold weather and are harvested at the beginning of winter when frost hits. Being winter vegetables, they are hardy and take to high heat roasting very well.
Brussel sprouts look like mini-cabbages which by itself is very appealing and so cute ! I am always reminded of miniature household gadgets we all used to play with when we were kids (especially the girls LOL) I used to have a mini-stove, small utensils etc.
I love to roast brussel sprouts whole with plenty of seasoning. One particular seasoning which worked very well is something that can be whipped up quickly using a variety of lentils. Dry roast 3 types of lentils (tuvar dhall or pigeon peas, moong dhall or skinned mung bean and channa dhall or chickpea lentils) along with red chillies. Grind this to a fine powder.
Trim the brussel sprouts and cut large ones into halves. Season liberally with olive oil, salt and lentil powder. Massage the vegetables with your hands so everything gets coated very well. Thats all it needs. High heat roasting brings out the sweetness, the ends turn brown and brings out the bitterness, the insides are soft and brings out the creaminess. YUMMY ! This can be served as a side dish or an appetizer.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts recipe
- Seasoning powder –
- Tuvar dhall or Pigeon peas 2 tbsps
- Moong dhall or split Mung beans 2 tbsps
- Channa dhall or chickpea lentils 2 tbsps
- Dry red chillies (as per taste) 4-5
- Brussel sprouts 20
- Olive oil 4 tbsps
- Salt (to taste)
- Dry roast the 3 lentils with red chillies in a pan till good aroma emanates. Cool and grind to a fine powder.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Take a mixing bowl and coat the brussel sprouts with olive oil, salt and lentil seasoning powder. Mix with hands for a couple of minutes to ensure every piece is coated well.
- Spread on a flat baking tray in a single layer and bake for 20-25 minutes until edges turn brown and crisp.