It was a lazy Saturday morning and all of us had slept in. As the brood assembled in the kitchen for breakfast, my younger son who is an avid baker started off by looking through his cookery book for breakfast options. He hit upon a simple biscuit recipe. So we started to transform it.
This recipe is extremely easy, takes 15 minutes to assemble and 15 minutes to bake. Most of the ingredients are regular items at home. This recipe’s shining star is Buttermilk. We all use yogurt in some form or other, so if readymade buttermilk is not available dilute thick yogurt with water to make buttermilk. We used whole wheat flour. It will also work in combination with Spelt flour. This recipe predominantly uses olive oil and that provides a rich glowing color. Butter enhances the flavor and is used in very small quantity.
We scooped out the batter using ice cream scooper and dropped them onto the baking sheet. If flat shaped biscuits are desired, pat the top of the batter slightly to even-out and make it flat. There is really nothing more to this easy breakfast. We ate it with homemade Apple jam. It also goes well with a spread of butter.
How about serving it as a side with a brothy soup 🙂
Go ahead…. Start your weekend with this flaky and fluffy biscuits !
Buttermilk Biscuits recipe
Ingredients – makes 15-17 3-inch diameter biscuits
Dry ingredients –
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Baking powder – 2 tsps
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
Wet Ingredients –
- Buttermilk – 1 cup
- Maple syrup – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil – 6 tbsps
- Butter (melted) – 2 tbsps
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and set aside
- Mix all the wet ingredients, the butter will combine with buttermilk to become clumpy and this texture is desired
- Add the dry mixture little by little to the wet mixture and combine to get a fluffy batter
- Grease an ice cream scooper with oil, scoop out the batter and lay them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake at 450 degrees hot oven for 12 minutes – until tops are light golden
- Turn off oven and leave inside for 3 more minutes
- Remove from oven and rest on counter for 5 minutes
- Serve warm with apple jam