This post is right on time for Valentine’s day. Valentine’s day has become too predictable with chocolates and strawberries 🍓🍫
Oh well, although one can never go wrong with chocolates and strawberries ….. why not try something different this year ?
A fruity, tangy and a bit bitter … totally an adult dessert 😍 don’t worry kids will enjoy it too… provided they don’t mind the touch of bitterness from the orange rind.
Lets get down to business! This dessert is unique in that we make a reduction of cooked WHOLE oranges… yes you heard that right… the oranges are used in whole, skin and all… hence the reason for the name – Marmalade 😉 The mangoes are cooked with oranges and spiced with star anise. Cooled and completely blended to a puree.
Make this puree ahead of time and store it in the fridge. This puree can be used to make muffins, ice creams …. you know the drill !
The bottom layer is just honey graham crackers crushed with melted butter and baked to make a simple crust. There is no added sweetness since the honey grahams are sweet enough. If you prefer sugary desserts add maple syrup to enhance the sweetness. Once the crust is cool to touch, refrigerate for minimum 3 hours.
Make the top layer by mixing cream cheese with the fruit puree. Add a few tablespoons of honey to this layer. Spread it evenly on top of the cracker layer. Chill it again for 3 hours.
Finally sprinkle the top with shredded dark chocolate.
This layer can also be decorated with slices of oranges and mangoes if you prefer to keep it chocolate-free :-))
Enjoy this with your Valentine … your family and your loved ones 🥰
HAPPY VALENTINES 💝
Advance preparation – Mango Orange puree
Mango Marmalade squares
For Bottom layer-
- 25 sheets Graham Cracker cookies
- 4 tbsps Butter melted
- 2 tbsps Maple Syrup optional
For Fruit Puree-
- 2 cups Mango cubes
- 3 Oranges
- 2 tbsps Maple Syrup
- 5 Star Anise
For Fruit Layer-
- 1 cup Fruit Puree recipe provided
- 1 cup Cream Cheese light whipped
- 2 tbsps Honey
- Orange and Mango wedges
- 2 tbsps Grated Chocolate
Advance preparation – Mango Orange puree –
- Take the oranges and make slits in the skin
- Take a large cooking pot, add the mango chunks, whole oranges, star anise, maple syrup and 2 cups of water
- Put a lid on it and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour checking and adding more water as needed to submerge the oranges and cook it completely
- The skin of the orange must be completely cooked and turn pale in color
- Cool, remove the spices and blend to a smooth puree
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to thicken
Layer 1 –
- Take a food processor, add the graham crackers and powder them
- While food processor is running, drizzle the maple syrup (optional)
- Next drizzle the melted butter, the cracker mixture will start to clump together
- Take a large rectangular glass dish and spread a very thin layer of melted butter at the bottom
- Remove the graham cracker mixture and spread evenly in the glass dish, pressing firmly
- Bake at 350 degrees in a pre-heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until crisp and firm
- Remove and cool completely
- Refrigerate for 3 Hours
Layer 2 –
- Take a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, 1 cup of mango puree, honey and mix until well combined and smooth (this will take some elbow grease ! )
- Spread this mixture evenly over the graham cracker layer
- Refrigerate for 3 Hours
- Decorate the top with grated chocolate or wedges of orange and mango
- Serve cold !
1 thought on “Mango Marmalade squares”