This week one of my sons asked for ‘Mac n cheese’. Gone are the days when I opened up a pack of ready to eat MnC, poured hot water, sprinkled the cheese powder and served it to my kids. I would have to make six of them to feed my boys, besides all the additives which come along for the ride. So this Mac has to be wholesome, nutritious and yet appealing to my boys that they will accept it is still their favorite and heart-warming traditional ‘Mac’.
Started off with Banza chickpea shells pasta – use any small sized pasta of your choice.
Next prepare a simple cheese sauce with just cheddar cheese and white sauce.
Add in couple of veggies which will blend well, I used mushrooms and spinach.
Flavored mildly with just garlic and paprika powder.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese liberally on top…. Traditional Mac and cheese is ready to hit the dinner table.
Serve with stir fried veggies and a side salad for the adults, although you may see many of them reaching out to the Mac for a 2nd helping 🙂
Shells Mac n cheese with Spinach and Mushrooms
- 8 oz Shells pasta made from Chickpea
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup Spinach chopped
- 3 pods Garlic Sliced
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tbsps Parmesan cheese optional
- Cook the pasta as per box directions but take it out ‘al dente’ (little under done with a bite)
- Start a large skillet, add olive oil
- Saute garlic, mushrooms and spinach for 3-4 minutes
- Sprinkle the flour on top and mix well
- Add the milk and mix until smooth
- On a low flame, stir to form a creamy sauce
- Add cheddar cheese and melt completely into the sauce
- Add the shells pasta and mix until well coated
- Sprinkle liberally with parmesan cheese (optional)