One of the favorite ingredients in Indian dishes liked by vegetarians is paneer! Paneer is often called cottage cheese, although not the same, it is texturally similar. Paneer can be fried, grilled, baked, broken into crumbs and incorporated in several other ways. By drowning paneer in a rich creamy gravy, the sponge like paneer absorbs all the intricate flavors and provides an ultimate indulgence in every bite 😛
Paneer being dairy is also very rich and goes well when combined with peas. Today I am adding yet another textural element – fried potato pieces along with the paneer. This was a total surprise package with the chewy paneer, creamy potatoes and peas cutting the decadence ! Regardless, this dish is ‘decadent bomb’ 😇
The gravy relies on 2 main ingredients for its richness – cashew nuts and poppy seeds. Dry roast white onions with cashew nuts, poppy seeds and dried red chillies. Add an optional garlic or two if preferred. Make sure the ingredients are roasted well to a rich golden brown color. This will help with the gravy cooking quickly. Grind this to a creamy texture.
All it takes is to cook the gravy for a few minutes with milk until rich aroma emanates. Add the fried paneer and potatoes and cooked peas and mix. DONE ! This dish will have everyone licking their fingers and their plates till the last drop is consumed.
Finally add a teaspoon of sour cream to bring it all together. This is an out and out a dairy lovers dish with paneer, milk and sour cream.
Seasoned with fennel seeds and cardamom – keeps the flavors sweet smelling almost like dessert.
Paneer Potato Peas in a rich decadent gravy
- Air Fryer
- 1 cup Paneer cubes (lightly fried)
- 1 cup Potato cubes (air fried)
- 1 cup Green peas – cooked soft
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Sour cream (or thick yogurt)
For the Gravy –
- 1 cup White onions chopped
- 20 Cashewnuts
- 2 tbsps Poppy seeds
- 5 Dried red chillies
- 2 pods Garlic
For Seasoning –
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 4 pods Cardamom (broken open)
- Prepare the paneer and potato by lightly frying them (hint: use an air fryer) , cook the peas to soft texture
- Dry roast the gravy ingredients until they are golden brown, cool and grind to a smooth paste
- Heat a large pan, add oil, fennel seeds and cardamom seeds and fry lightly
- Add the ground paste, season with salt and cook until rich aroma emanates (about 10 mins)
- Add the paneer, potatoes and peas and combine well. Add milk.
- Bring to a low boil. Check salt and add as needed.
- Serve with hot naan !