Yet another of my ‘baby’s’ spectacular creation. He found this recipe in his Kids cookbook. Simple to make with simple ingredients available at home. Soft pillow like inside with a light crisp crust.
All it needs is flour – we used whole wheat ultra-grain flour, apple sauce, orange juice and flaxmeal to give it the softness. Fat in the form of butter and olive oil. Keep it vegan by using vegan butter or using olive oil completely – both versions work very well with no difference in texture.
Mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients… the usual 3 steps… pour n bake. DONE !!
Let it sit out to complete the cooking process, this step is critical.
We got a beautiful crust and soft chewy interior. We cut them into 1 inch squares to keep them bite sized and before we knew it several pieces were flying out of our counter 😉
Another guilt-free indulgence to enjoy and the pleasure to see your family and friends embark into sheer bliss 🙂
Apple sauce snack bites
Dry Ingredients –
- 1.5 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg grated
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp Flaxmeal
Wet Ingredients –
- 1 cup Apple sauce
- 1/2 cup Orange juice
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup
- 4 tbsps Butter melted
- 4 tbsps Olive oil
- 1 tsp Orange extract
- Soak the Flaxmeal in 2 tbsps of warm warm and let it sit
- Mix the remaining dry ingredients in mixing bowl and set aside
- Next mix all the wet ingredients in another mixing bowl
- Add the flaxmeal mixture and combine
- Add the dry ingredients little by little, mixing evenly until fully combined
- To a 9 inch square cake pan, lined with parchment paper, ladle the mixture completely
- Tap the pan lightly to release air bubbles
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes until a fork pricked in the center comes out clean
- Check the top for light crust, turn off oven and leave it in for 5 to 10 minutes for the top to turn crisp
- Remove from oven and set on counter to cool for 30 minutes
- Remove carefully from pan and cut into desired size pieces