VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, PEANUT-FREE
Recent explosion of ‘nut flours’ has opened up the baking world to lots of options. Some of our favorite ‘new’ flours are almond flour, oat flour, quinoa flour, buckwheat flour etc. One more addition to our pantry is pistachio flour. This is nothing but pistachio nuts ground to a flour. Comes with all the goodness that pistachios have to offer.
A very simple pistachio cookie was our first experiment and it was divine. Pistachios originated in the middle east and so decided to infuse the cookies with cardamom flavor.
Pistachios and cardamom – just the thought …. I can already smell our kitchen perfumed with cardamom flavor.
One of our favorite cookies is Amaretto – link here
We made the pistachio cookies on the same lines and our end results were just perfect.
Here is one more cookie recipe added to our repertoire 🙂
Pistachio Cardamom cookies
- 1 3/4 cup Pistachio flour
- 8 tbsps Whole Wheat flour or gluten-free oat flour
- 2 tbsps Pistachio nuts coarsely crushed
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Layer a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Mix the dry ingredients – pistachio flour, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom powder and salt, set aside
- Mix the wet ingredients – maple syrup and olive oil
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined
- Now add the WW flour 1 tbsp at a time mixing lightly, till a cookie dough consistency is reached, I have sometimes used up to 8 tbsps, this depends on the nature of the nut flour as to how much WW Flour it can absorb, so do this step carefully
- Add pistachio pieces and mix lightly
- Taking a large tablespoon, scoop out oval shaped cookies and place on cookies sheet 2 inches apart
- Bake for 12 minutes, turn of oven and leave it in the hot oven for another 8 minutes
- The bottom will be a beautiful golden crisp and tops will have some brown. The center will still be chewy. If you like extra crispy cookies, keep it for another 4-5 minutes
- Take out of oven and have it warm or cool completely and store in air tight containers. It will stay in the pantry for upto a month