More lunch favorites coming up 😝
As much as we try out and savor a variety of different foods from different cuisines, sometimes we prefer nostalgic foods that are close to our hearts 😍. Similarly, for my kids, their lunch favorites lean towards ‘fusion creations’ using Indian flavors… although they love pastas and pizzas. The spicy and creamy gravies probably hit the spot while they are at school and reminds them of warm and cozy meals with family.
One such creation is ‘Masala buns’. Take any good burger buns – I have used a variety ranging from whole wheat to sprouted and all of them come out good.
Use a liberal amount of cheese, kids simply enjoy cheesy goodness 😛
Finally take a good Indian curry which is thick and creamy. You may have to strain out the watery part and mash up the vegetable portions.
I have illustrated two combinations –
(1) Channa masala with sliced cheese and (2) Aloo Gobi with fresh mozarella cheese
Other curries which work well are Mutter Paneer, Saag Paneer… practically anything with paneer 🤪 other favorites include gravies with potatoes which work well to mashing. Wholesome beans such as kidney beans, chickpeas, black-eye peas etc.
These buns can be eaten at room temperature or works very well in a hot pack.
Send these for lunch with crisp cucumber sticks, a fruit and probably some yogurt…. A complete full-size meal !
- 4 Burger buns set
- 8 tbsps Indian vegetable curry channa masala, mutter paneer etc.
- 4 tbsps Cheese grated, slices or cubes
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Butter a cast iron griddle and toast the insides of the buns
- Turn over and sprinkle cheese on both side, splitting 1 tbsp for each bun set
- Spread 2 tbsps of thick curry on the bottom bun
- Take the top bun and press down over the curry to seal well
- Flip over a couple of times until desired crunch is obtained
- Wrap in parchment paper and send to school in a hot pack.