Taquitos are Mexican appetizers which are small taco size tortillas rolled with some sort of filling inside. It is then flash-fried to a crunchy texture. Often served with salsa, it also goes very well with more substantial guacamole.
Today we will make a healthy option of the same – presenting baked taquitos – made with sprouted wraps from Angelic bakehouse. If thats not enough, we are also making it with Tofu and providing a vegan option. Lovely!
Due to the nature of being crunchy and small sized offerings, taquitos are very much enjoyed by kids, needless to say, adults too!
Make a very simple filling by sautéing tofu with onions, orange bell pepper and green peas. Optionally add some cotija cheese to bring in some additional Mexican flavor. As always keep it vegan by omitting cheese if desired.
Soften the wraps by warming them and roll them tight with a few spoonfuls of the filling. Brush liberally with oil and bake. As always the rolling part takes the most time, but everything else is quick. Remember once ready, we will have several trays of taquitos. Works amazing as a party food; look at all the variety of colors we got by using different flavored wraps.
Serve these taquitos with a twist on good old guacamole – roasted Tomatillo avocado salsa. Despite being appetizer fare, when paired with robust avocado salsa, this one is a complete meal. Everyone filled up their plates with a variety of colorful taquitos, dunked them in salsa and enjoyed! Love it!
- 20 Tortilla wraps use different flavored varieties
For the Filling –
- 14 oz Tofu drained
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1 Bell Pepper – orange chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tsp Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese crumbles
Prepare the filling –
- Take a large frying pan, add 1 tbsp oil, add onions and saute
- Add the green peas and cook till soft
- Next add the bell pepper and cook for 2 mins
- Crumble the tofu completely and stir fry
- Add salt and taco seasoning and mix well
- Finally add cotija cheese (optional) and turn off the stove
Assembling the Taquitos –
- Warm the tortilla wraps in the microwave
- Spread 1 tbsp of the filling on one half, roll the tortilla very tightly
- Layer them on a cookie sheet and brush liberally with oil
- Bake at 400 degrees hot oven for 10 minutes
- Remove them and carefully turn over, return to oven and bake for 5-8 minutes until tops are lightly browned and crunchy
- Serve with Avocado Tomatillo salsa.