This watermelon salad is a perfect summertime appetizer. It has fresh fruit with mint swirls.
It has …..
👉 sweetness from honey (NOTE: To keep it VEGAN, use maple syrup)
👉 tang from balsamic vinegar
👉 mint flavor from fresh mint leaves
👉 spice from cayenne pepper
….. and garnished with toasted walnut pieces.
Now imagine these different taste profiles frolicking in your palate…a medley of flavors in your mouth!!!
Arrange these chilled fruit rectangles with warm grilled cheese or better yet make it VEGAN by topping them with grilled tofu slices.
Prepare the watermelon ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until serving. Drain the excess juice before serving if preferred, I love to drink the juice which absolutely is the best part!!
Grill the cheese or tofu and serve warm stacked up with the cold watermelon.
YIN and YANG ☯︎
Sweet, Tangy, Minty n Spicy Watermelon salad with toasted walnuts
- 20 Watermelon pieces cut into rectangles 3 * 2 inches
- 20 Halloumi cheese cut into rectangles OR
- 20 Tofu slices cut into rectanges
- 1 tbsp Honey or Maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Mint leaves cut into threads
- 2 tbsps Walnuts toasted
- In a large mixing bowl, add the watermelon slices, honey, balsamic vinegar, mint leaves and cayenne pepper and toss lightly to coat
- Add the walnuts and refridge until serving time
- In a cast iron skillet, grill the halloumi cheese or the tofu slices to a crisp golen brown color
- To serve – stack a watermelon slice on top of the grilled protein. Top with mint leaves and walnut pieces