VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE
The food scene in Greece is ‘out of the world’ good. They make the best pies out of everything 😆 olives, feta, spinach – you name it. They will wrap up the goodies in flaky pastry sheets and bake it to perfection.
The dish we are exploring today is also called Eliopita or Cypriot.
This is more of a cake than a bread predominantly because it cannot be sliced due to the insane amount of olives in each bite. Cut them into squares like a cake.
This cake is loaded with olives, fresh orange juice and plenty of herbs. I used a combination of 3 herbs but any combination of the following herbs can be used – cilantro, mint, parsley and basil. Just remember to use plenty of them 😁
The saltiness is enhanced by using all of the olive juice from the can or bottle. The fat content is pure olive oil. So this cake is olives in taste, olives in flavor and just an abundance of olives. Paprika brings in a sweet smoked flavor.
Use any flour – we used multi-grain flour.
Gluten-free option – Oat flour or spelt flour with a spoon of Tapioca flour
Mix up all the ingredients and bake in a square cake pan – it is super easy and tastes absolutely delicious.
This cake is such a versatile dish that can be consumed by itself, with a cup of tea or as a simple side with a hot bowl of soup – oh the possibilities 😉
Savoury Olive cake – Greek style
- 3 cups Multi-grain flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Paprika seasoning
- 1 cup Green Olives broken into pieces
- 1 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Olive juice drained from the olives
- 1/4 cup Fresh squeeed Orange juice
- 1 cup mixed Herbs loosely packed mint, oregano, basil, cilantro, parsley etc.
- Mix the 3 dry ingredients in a bowl
- Mix all the other ingredients in another bowl
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet mixture
- Pour into a 9 x 9 cake pan lined with parchment paper
- Bake at 355 degrees hot oven for 45-50 minute, checking once in between
- A fork test should come out clean from the middle and the edges will begin to brown and crisp up
- Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting into 16 cubes