Idlis are steamed rice cakes which is prepared with fermented batter and a healthy staple in South India. Traditional idli calls for grinding parboiled rice and urad dhall and the batter is fermented overnight. Recently the simple idli has been taking many different ‘avataars’. One such experiment has been with Oats. Oats is a complex carbohydrate which keeps us full for a long time hence a favorite for breakfast. Today my tryst with oats is to make idli mixing it with broken wheat. Broken wheat is readily available in the market in various grinds, choose one which is neither too fine nor too coarse.
This dish can be prepared instantly and needs no fermenting !
Oat and broken wheat is mixed with sour yogurt and let to rest. Baking soda is used to make the idlis soft without the fermentation process. Note – sour yogurt and baking soda are key ingredients to make this idli fluffy and soft. Season the batter with urad dhall, channa dhall and mustard seeds along with chopped green chillies, curry leaves and cilantro. If preferred, peas and carrots can also be added to make vegetable oats idlis. Oats idli can be served with Apple Carrot chutney !
Oats and Broken Wheat idli recipe
Ingredients – makes approximately 35 idlis
- Rolled oats – 2 cups
- Broken Wheat – 2 cups
- Sour yogurt – 2 cups
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Chopped green chillies
- Chopped curry leaves
- Chopped cilantro
- To Season –
- Sesame oil – 4 tsps
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dhall – 2 tsps
- Channa dhall – 2 tsps
- Asafoetida powder – 1 tsp
- Mix oats, broken wheat and yogurt with salt and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and prepare the seasoning. Add mustard seeds. When it splatters, add urad dhall and channa dhall and turn heat off.
- Add the seasoning to the prepared batter and chopped green chillies, curry leaves and cilantro.
- Add baking soda to 1 cup of water and mix well. Add this mixture to the batter and stir well for 2-3 minutes until the batter is fluffy and bubbly on top.
- Grease idli pans with sesame oil and pour a ladle of batter in each slot. Steam for 25 minutes. Let rest for 10 mins before serving.
- Serve hot idlis with Apple carrot chutney. Relish delish idlis !