Idlis are versatile offerings which are steamed and don’t need ‘babysitting’ in the kitchen. Make the batter, pour them in idli moulds and they do their job 🙂
I have posted Oats idli before and it is a nutritious and tasty idli made with ingredients which are staple at home. Today’s variation is idlis made with poha or beaten rice. Poha can be white poha or red poha which has the skin intact and hence adds more fiber. This recipe again is quite straightforward and gives good results. Whip it up on any week day evening, even after a whole day’s work.
Poha idles are made with a simple combination of poha (red beaten rice), broken rice rava (available in Indian stores) and yogurt. Season with any combination of ginger, curry leaves, green chillies and cilantro. I used freshly grated Turmeric and when steamed it gave gorgeous red tinges to the idlis and looked so inviting. Ofcourse the taste backs up the good looks … always 😝 … it was flaky and soft… perfect to dip in hot sambar and some chutney.
Poha Idli – steamed beaten rice cakes
- Idli moulds to steam
- 2 cups Red Poha Beaten Rice flakes
- 2 cups Broken Rice
- 2 cups Yogurt sour
- Grated ginger root
- Cilantro chopped coriander leaves
- Curry leaves
- Green chillies chopped
- Grated turmeric root optional
- Soak the poha and broken rice in yogurt and let sit for 15-30 minutes
- Add salt and mix well and check if the poha has softened
- Add water if needed and make it into a idli batter consistent, it should be thick enough to pour into moulds
- Add any of the seasoning ingredients listed as per liking
- Grease idli moulds, pour a scoop of batter, steam for 25-30 minutes
- Check idli by a fork test, stick in the middle and fork should come out clean
- Let rest for 5 minutes before removing from moulds
- Serve hot with sambar and chutney !