Apples, apples, everywhere…… what next, shall I prepare ???
We are dreaming apples – red, pink and golden.
Today decided to try out a very traditional South Indian offering with golden apples. ‘Thogayal’ is a form of chutney which is common in South India and typically made with fresh grated coconut. Sometimes a pumpkin piece or a gourd may also be sauteed and added along with coconut to make vegetable thogayals, which is like hummus. Thogayals can be mixed with rice with a few drops of melted ghee and growing up used to be a simple dinner when my mom had nothing else planned. This can be whipped up very quickly.
Today I decided to use fresh golden apples along with baby carrots to try out a Carrot Apple ‘Thogayal’ chutney. I must say, I was really delighted with the outcome 🙂 A unique combination of sweet and spicy. This can be a good side dish for a variety of items ranging from toast & tortillas to dosas & idlis.
Here we go … my apple carrot chutney ‘thogayal’ …..
Apple Carrot chutney recipe
- Golden Apple – 1 large
- Baby carrots – 10
- Red dried chillies – 2
- Green chilly – 1
- Urad dhall – 2 tbsps
- coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns – all ¼ tsp each
- Heat a skillet, add 1 tsp of oil. Add urad dhall, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns & red chillies and fry lightly
- Add the carrots and chopped apples and mix to coat
- Turn off the heat and put a lid on
- Let it cool down for about 10 mins.
- Grind to a chutney consistency without water
- Add salt and mix well