There has been an influx of many kitchen gadgets which indeed reduce the cooking time and make it easy to whip up meals quickly. One such gadget is the Instant pot – a huge life saver. One-pot dishes come out very well in the Instant pot and make for a comforting meal on any weekday. I soaked rice and peas together for about 30 mins while I gathered the rest of the ingredients. There is no overnight soaking necessary.
Use a robust bean such as black-eyed peas which holds up to good cooking and combining it with red rice, a whole grain carbohydrate. By adding a variety of veggies and spices, this dish combines the essential food groups of protein, complex carb and veggies in one dish. Add a mixed raitha or a cup of yogurt for a satisfying dinner.
Raitha link here – Mix vegetable Raitha
Red Rice and Black Eye peas hotch-potch recipe
- Red rice – 2 cups
- Black-eyed peas – 1.5 cups
- Mixed veggies – peas, carrots, potatoes, beans – diced into small cubes
- Onion finely-chopped – 1 medium
- Flavor combo – Shredded ginger, shredded turmeric root, chopped garlic, chopped cilantro, curry leaves – any of these can be easily left out if not available
- Garam masala powder – 2-3 tsps
- Red chilly powder (to taste) – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2-3 tbsps
- Dry spices – cumin (1 tsp), cardamom (4-5 pods broken), bay leaves (4-5)
- Wash and soak rice and black-eyed peas for 30 mins in just about enough water to cover them. Use good cooking water, so it can be cooked directly
- Heat the Instant pot – add oil about 2-3 tbsps, this is very necessary since this is the only fat we are adding to this dish
- Add dry spices and fry a little
- Add onions and fry another minute
- Add the entire flavor combo and mix lightly
- Add the rice and peas along with soaking water
- Add all the vegetables
- Add salt, garam masala, red chilly powder and mix well
- Add 4-5 cups of water
- Cook with pressure for 20 mins.
- Once done, let it cool for another 20 mins before opening.
- The dish might look runny at the top, but mix well stirring bottom up for a good 3-4 minutes and it will all come together into a risotto like consistency
- Drizzle a few drops of ghee or butter on top for kids, it adds a beautiful flavor !
4 thoughts on “Red rice and Black-eyed peas hotch-potch in Instant pot”
I remember enjoying comfort food with my mom on cold winter days, so making this recipe brings back good memories! BUT this hotch-potch is everything. It’s creamy, spicy, filled with vegetables, pretty healthy, so easy and SO GOOD. Perfect for any night of the week whether it’s a cold snowy night or a night where you just need a healthy dinner, and you need it fast!
I remember enjoying comfort food with my mom on cold winter days, so this recipe brings back good memories! BUT this hotch-potch is everything. It’s creamy, spicy, filled with vegetables, pretty healthy, so easy and SO GOOD. Perfect for any night of the week whether it’s a cold snowy night or a night where you just need a healthy dinner, and you need it fast!