Once, while dining at a Moroccan restaurant we savored a potato dish. It had a sauce made of red peppers and black olives and had a nice tangy flavor. We throughly enjoyed it with a hot sauce topping. It was served with bread on the side. I kept reminiscing the wonderful dish over time and wanted to recreate it at home. I was debating between making it a side dish or a main dish like a casserole. Meanwhile I came across a scalloped potato recipe, the presentation was gorgeous with the potatoes arranged in concentric circles. BINGO – this has to go on a round surface a.k.a pizza crust. Concentric layers of potato with its red skin providing relief on a round pizza crust and the marinade drizzled all over. Painting on a plate !
So here we go – presenting scalloped potatoes marinated and baked in a tapenade of black olives with red pepper, dressed with olive oil. Cheeses act as a binder between the pizza crust and the potato layer. Make it spicy by adding more red chillies while preparing the tapenade. This dish is really satisfying and works well for a cozy family supper with your tweens, teens or in-betweens 😉
Scalloped potato pizza recipe
- Sprouted thin crust personal pizza crust 2
- Red potato, cut into 1/4 inch thin rounds 2
- Red pepper 1
- Black olives 20
- Red chillies 2
- Olive oil 2 tbsps
- Cheese 8 tbsps
- First – blend together – olives, red pepper, red chillies and drizzle olive oil while blending. Add salt and mix well.
- Arrange the cut potato slices on a flat pie plate, sprinkle water and microwave for 3 minutes. Very carefully (using gloves) turn them over and microwave for another 3 minutes. Check for doneness of the potato, they should be cooked but still firm.
- Once potatoes are cool to touch, marinate them in the blended tapenade and let it rest for 30 mins.
- Take the pizza crust, sprinkle 2 tbsps of cheese.
- Arrange the potatoes with the marinade in concentric circles on top of the pizza.
- Finally sprinkle 2 more tbsps of cheese. Sprinkle red pepper flakes for added heat.
- Bake in a hot oven at 350 degrees for 10-12 or as per the timing on the pizza crust cooking directions.
- The cheeses will all be melted.
- Carefully slice into wedges, taking care to keep the potatoes in place.