“Meatballs” is a very popular and comforting food. It is usually added to spaghetti which the kids absolutely enjoy. This makes it a wholesome dish by bringing in the protein element to the pasta dish. Sometimes a large size ball call be served as an appetizer with embellished tomato sauce on the side and some finely cut basil on top. Picture perfect 🙂
Here we are going to make completely plant based vegballs with tofu.
Tofu is a versatile protein which can take on any seasoning. It is a blank canvas open to absorb our creativity ! It is also a plant protein which comes with a lot of good nutrients. I love to use sprouted tofu which is made from sprouted soybeans and it is easier to digest.
This recipe is a fun one, easy to make with kids. My 11 year old always enjoys working with me, especially this one ! You will realize why 🙂 We use just FIRM tofu for this recipe, don’t go any softer since the water content will not let the veg balls bake to a firm texture.
Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Then … here is the fun part …. Start mixing and mashing with both (clean) hands. This is what my 11 year old absolutely loves and I don’t blame him. Mash and mix completely, that’s it. Then scoop out tofu portions of 3 inch diameter, roll into balls and bake. The balls may flatten during baking and become more like patties. If you desire them to be perfect balls then double the breadcrumbs quantity to keep the shape.
These veg balls can be consumed as appetizers or used in classic spaghetti preparation. I also love to use them as ‘koftas’ in an all-white Indian gravy preparation. (Recipe coming soon !)
Tofu Veg balls recipe
- Firm Tofu 1 block
- Breadcrumbs 1 packed cup
- Parmesan cheese 1 cup
- Garlic minced 4 pods
- Asian seasoning 2 tsps
- Red chilly powder 1 tsp
- Olive oil (extra virgin) 2 tblsps
- Soy Sauce 2 tblsps
- Flaxmeal 1 tblsps
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl, with clean hands, mash and mix completely.
- Scoop out portions and make it into balls, about size of 3 inch diameter.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a hot oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully using gloves turn them over one by one.
- Return to hot oven for another 15 minutes, until it is crispy and golden brown all around.
- Use them as is as appetizers or in pasta dishes.
- Freezes very well for up to 6 months.
2 thoughts on “Baked Tofu “veg” balls”