Tacos are so famous that we have a day named after them 😃Taco Tuesdays. We have Taco Tuesdays very often in our home. Tacos are simple meals to put together. I look for some veggie filling with beans, throw them into a tortilla with some cheese, DONE ! Really !!
Last night dinner was going to be Taco Tuesday. So when I was mulling over what veggies I can toss up to do a very simple Taco filling, my 11 year old came up to me and said ‘can you make a bean and potato taco ?’ Hmmm never thought of that combo. He had …..Ofcourse ! During one of his visits to Texas which has so many yummy taco joints, he had a breakfast taco with bean, potato and eggs. He suddenly remembered that. Impressive 🤪 … this is how ideas popup in our kitchen !
Bean and Potato sounded too simple an offering, so got about thinking of one more filling. Broccoli was drying up in the fridge and always have tofu on hand. How about a good use of the air fryer for both tofu and potato and then a quick stirfry to put the filling together.
Thats it – we had 2 types of Tacos –
1. Bean and Potato taco where the potato was crisp fried in the air fryer and tossed with the black beans and fajita seasoning.
2. Stir fried broccoli with air fryer tofu tossed together in a spicy honey, chilly flakes sauce.
Both very simple yet very tasty combinations. I used a little bit of cheddar cheese on the broccoli tofu taco. Kept the bean and potato very simple. Served with a dollop of fresh mashed guacamole on the side.
The total dinner came together in under 30 mins. Air fryer to the rescue 🙂
Double Taco recipe
Taco 1 – makes filling for 6
- Broccoli 1 cup
- Tofu 1 14 oz block
- Honey 1 tbsp
- Red chilly flakes 2 tsps
- Yellow corn tortilla 6
- Cheddar cheese 3 slices
- Oil 3 tsps
Taco 2 – makes filling for 6
- Red Potato (diced) 4 medium
- Black bean 1 cup
- Fajita seasoning 2 tsps
- Whole wheat tortilla 6
- Oil 3 tsps
- Coat the diced potatoes with salt and 1-2 tsps of oil. Air Fry it for 10 minutes, take out mix well and fry for another 5 minutes. It should be crisp
- Meanwhile heat up a skillet and toss the drained black beans on high heat with 1 tsp oil and salt
- Add the fried potatoes, add fajita seasoning and mix well and set aside in a separate dish
- Coat the diced tofu with salt and 1-2 tsps of oil. Air Fry it for 10 minutes, take out mix well and fry for another 5 minutes. It should be crisp
- Meanwhile heat up a skillet and toss the broccoli on high heat with 1 tsp oil and salt
- Add the fried tofu and stir-fry
- Turn off the stove, add honey and chilly flakes and toss very well to coat
- Heat up a griddle, put the whole wheat tortilla to warm up on one side, turn over and spread 2 tsps of bean and potato mixture, fold and press firmly to slightly mash the bean and potato mixture. Repeat for all 6 whole wheat tortillas.
- Next warm the yellow corn tortilla, once warmed on one side, turn over, spread 1/4 of cheddar cheese slice, spread 1-2 tsps of the broccoli tofu mixture, spread another 1/4 cheddar cheese slice, fold and press firmly. Repeat for all 6 yellow corn tortillas.
- Serve with a side of freshly mashed guacamole – recipe here – Guacamole