We love Pasta dishes where all the food groups are combined. This dish is one such preparation. Whole wheat fusilli is combined with kale and carrots in a smooth creamy sauce. Perfumed with freshly chopped mint leaves. Spice it up with a habenaro or keep it simple. This dish can be enjoyed by everyone alike – kids will love it for its creaminess and adults for the robust kale and carrots which provide a good balance to the tender pasta.
Fusilli is the spiral 2-3 inch length pasta. The groves help to hold the sauce and provides a tasty bite. Any medium sized pasta works well for this recipe.
Start off by cooking the pasta. While that is going, saute the veggies in a large saucepan.
Pasta tip – use a large colander to scoop out pasta when it is done and use the same pasta water to cook several boxes one after another. Freeze the extra pasta to toss up a quick meal another day.
As the veggies wilt down, the pasta will also be ready. Make the simple sauce on top of the veggies and add the warm pasta directly into the saucepan and mix well to coat.
This pasta is very nourishing due to the kale and carrot combination and both these veggies mingle very well with the pasta into a cohesive dish. Sprinkle chopped mint leaves on top and serve with shredded parmesan cheese.
Fusilli pasta with Kale and Carrots recipe
- Fusilli pasta 1 pound
- Curly kale (finely chopped) 1 bunch
- Julienned carrots 1/2 cup
- Onion – chopped 1/2 cup
- Garlic minced 3
- Habanero (for spice – optional) 1
- Olive oil 4 tbsps
- Plain flour 1 tbsp
- Milk 1 cup
- Mint leaves – chopped 1 tbsp
- Parmesan cheese – shredded 1 tbsp
- Cook the pasta as per box directions
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet. Add olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic with habanero.
- Next add carrots and swish around
- Next add kale, season with salt and put a lid on and cook for 3-5 minutes until kale is tender
- Reduce the heat completely, sprinkle 1 tbsp of plain flour and add the milk, mix well
- Now add the strained pasta directly into the veggies mixture and combine to coat the pasta with the kale and sauce
- Turn off the heat, sprinkle chopped mint leaves
- Before serving add shredded parmesan cheese on top