Mung beans are bright green colored small legumes. They have their skin intact so high in fiber and since they are small, they are very quick to cook. I always soak mung for a few hours in water, drain, and tie them in a muslin cloth and let it sprout. The mung look very pretty with tiny tails and this makes it even more easier to digest.
Today’s preparation is a very simple but super delicious and flavorful. It is my mother-in-law’s recipe, she prepared this dish for me when I was newly married and it hit the spot…. Of course 🤪
It is not your usual curry, the only flavors are cilantro, ginger and green chilies. This is ground with fresh coconut to a smooth paste. Just season cumin seeds, cook the mung and add the ground paste. Heat on very low flame; that’s all it takes. The intricate cilantro flavor will permeate the legumes and provide a creamy and tasty bite. The ginger and green chillies will provide a mild zing without overpowering the delicate dish. Take care not to overcook the beans; they will become mushy very quickly. It took a maximum of 7-10 minutes tops to finish cooking. Try to soak and sprout the mung over the weekend and store in air-tight container in fridge. Grind up the paste while the mung is cooking. This dish will come together in 15 minutes. Pour a ladleful on top of cooked rice and enjoy with some chips! Homely, humble daily meals … nothing fancy 😇 yet makes you crave for it often!
Sprouted mung beans in coconut cilantro curry sauce
- 2 cups Mung beans soaked and sprouted
- 1/2 cup Coconut grated fresh
- 4 Green chillies
- 2 inch Ginger piece
- Cilantro handful
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Oil
- Heat a large skillet, add oil and cumin seeds; fry to golden
- Add the mung beans, sprinkle water and cook – about 7 – 10 minutes until beans are cooked but still have a bite to it (drizzle water as needed to keep it moist while cooking)
- Meanwhile grind the coconut with green chillies, ginger and cilantro to a smooth paste
- Add the paste to the beans, season with salt and bring to a very low boil
- Seasoned mung beans in coconut curry is ready to enjoy!
4 thoughts on “Sprouted mung beans in coconut cilantro curry sauce”
Love this vegan- palakkad style recipie, will try ASAP.
Absolutely right! Simple and sweet 🙂
Thank you Lavanya, for remembering the recipe & loving it !❤
Thank you Lavanya for remembering the recipe, & loving it 🌹❤