VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE
As we approach warmer weather, light and crisp offerings are preferred for meals.
One – it reduces the amount spent in the kitchen since these are easy to prepare in short amount of time.
Two – our body wants lighter fare which is easy to digest and is not heavy but rather delicate. To add to this, we don’t need these meals to be piping hot, but simply at room temperature.
Let’s explore a fun stir-fry of simple vegetables to make lettuce wraps. Lettuce wraps are our favorite for the summer time. It can be put together quickly, it takes a total of 7-10 minutes of high-heat cooking. Works well with outdoor gatherings. Most of all, it is fun and whimsical.
Have a fussy eater – break the lettuce into small pieces and serve the stir-fry over it like a warm salad. Even young kids will enjoy this by sheer looks of it, quite appealing to the eye, I must say 🙂
A variety of vegetables can be used to prepare the stir-fry. Choices here are mushrooms, which always work well in high heat quick stir-fries, baby corn which is crisp and augurs well to asian seasonings, Spanish peanuts to add crunch and, a surprise addition; cauliflower bits. YES! By adding cauliflower bits, we can easily add volume to this stir-fry. It blends beautifully with other vegetables, absorbs any flavors you douse them with, and provides a good crunch factor.
Keep in mind this is a quick stir-fry – all veggies stay crisp and fresh. Season it with soy sauce and some asian seasoning. We used Bangkok seasoning from Penzey’s spices which we absolutely love for Asian seasoning. I also used a habanero for intense heat.
The end result was mind-boggling, spicy stir-fry with crisp, crunch lettuce cups. Allow guest to make their own lettuce wraps or cups. 😀
This stir-fry can also be rolled inside a thin flatbread wrap for a quick lunch delicacy. Present this at your next outdoor gathering and see it vanishing quickly!!
Mushroom, baby corn and cauliflower in lettuce cups
- 2 cups Mushrooms diced
- 2 cups Cauliflower bits
- 1 cup baby Corn cut into thin rounds
- 1 red Bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsps Spanish peanuts
- 1 Habanero sliced
- 2 pods Garlic sliced
- 1 sprig Mint leaves rolled and cut into threads
- 2 tbsps Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce low sodium
- 1 tsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Hot sauce optional for additional heat
- 1 tsp Bangkok or Asian seasoning powder
- Start a large wok on the stove with sesame oil, bring to high heat
- Add garlic, habanero and toss to emanate good flavor
- Add diced peppers, toss
- Add baby corn, toss
- Add peanuts, fry to a crunch
- Add diced mushrooms, toss on high heat for 2-3 mins to soften
- Add cauliflower bits and all the seasonings, continue to toss to combine all flavors for 2 mins
- Season with salt and finally sprinkle the mint leaves and mix well
- Stir-fry is ready – serve it with crisp lettuce leaves