We have heard a lot about street food being very famous in Asian countries such as Singapore and Thailand. We have not experienced it personally but can imagine how good it can be. For example, there is a lot of street food in India. Different parts of India have their own form of street foods based on local tastes and cuisines.
A very famous dish we always enjoy at a local Asian fusion restaurant is Singapore street noodles. It is made with very fine rice noodles a.k.a gluten-free and is loaded with all good veggies and is very spicy. It usually comes topped with fresh slices of jalapeños….the thought of it makes my eyes water 🤣 and mouth drool 🤪 at the same time!
This recipe is tossed together at high heat in under 10 minutes. Wow your audience by making this table side … gather all the ingredients and toss it in a large wok and serve it fresh. My kids get a huge kick out of seeing me toss it up fresh and today my teenager even helped me take a video. This is probably first of our food videos…. BABY STEPS 🙂 …. And hopefully many to come 😉
I used very fine brown rice noodles by Annie Chow – we love the taste, it holds up to high heat and has a deep nutty flavor. Cooking the noodles takes the most time…. put the pot of water to boil and literally watch it literally.
I used a variety of fresh vegetables such as cabbage, mushrooms, tri-color peppers, green onions, etc. Brought in air fried tofu for the protein addition. Broccoli also goes very well with these noodles.
It is a very satisfying and comforting meal which brings back nostalgic flavor notes of home.
Singapore street noodles
- 8 oz Brown rice noodles – extra fine Annie chun brand Maifun**
- 2 cups Cabbage finely shredded
- 1 cup mixed veggies tricolor pepper, mushrooms, broccoli
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 Jalapeno or hot pepper sliced
- 3 pods Garlic sliced
- 1 cup Tofu extra firm air fried
- 5 stalks Green onions sliced
- 2 tbsps Cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Singapore seasoning or hot curry powder Penzeys brand**
- 1 tsp Hot chilly powder optional
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 tbsps Sesame oil
- Cook the noodles as per packet instructions, run cold water to completely cool down; drizzle sesame oil, toss and set aside
- Heat a large wok, add the sesame oil and bring to high heat
- Keep adding the veggies one by one in the order mentioned and stir-fry at high heat for 2-3 minutes – sliced onions first, garlic, jalapeño, tricolor peppers, mushrooms, cabbage
- Add the rice noodles; add the seasoning powders and salt and toss well to coat the entire noodles with spices
- Add the fried tofu and toss until vegetables are well combined
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro and green onions
- Sprinkle some spicy seasoning on top and serve!
Singapore street noodles