So what’s up with the name and the three ways?
Dal is a staple and comforting dish in India. We have all seen many varieties of dals, each of them unique and “warmly-hugging inside-out”; each in its own way. 🤗
Today’s recipe enhances the humble Tomato dal to a new level by incorporating 3 types of tomatoes in 3 different ways:
👉 Blanched and pureed roma tomatoes
✌️Chopped and sautéed heirloom tomatoes
🤟 Raw sliced cherry tomatoes
This recipe is very simple, but packs a lot of flavor with the variety of tomatoes, each of which offer unique tastes of sweetness, tanginess, and sourness. The only seasoning used is kasoori methi – which is nothing but dried fenugreek leaves or methi (in Hindi). This is readily available in most Indian grocery stores.
Cook simple masoor dal in a tomato puree. This makes the tangy taste permeate the dal and packs a punch with every bite. Add a good handful of kasoori methi and mix well to incorporate.
Next, add sauteed tomatoes to the dal, this brings in the sweet layer. Finally, just before serving, add fresh sliced cherry tomatoes on top. Mix lightly, finishing the sour taste. The hot dal will wilt the cherry tomatoes. And that’s it!
Season with cumin seeds, curry leaves, and some chillies (I used an Anaheim pepper).
Try this new variation which has no onion or garlic, yet absolutely flavorful. Enjoy it with some plain rice.
Tomato (three ways) dal
- 2 cups Masoor dal or pink lentils
- 3 Heirloom tomatoes or Beeksteak tomatoes
- 3 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 10 Cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Kasoori methi or dried Fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsps Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Anaheim pepper chopped
- 1 stalk Curry leaves
- Coriander Leaves finely-chopped for garnish
- Pour hot boiling water over the heirloom tomatoes and let sit for 5 minutes
- Remove the skin and make a fine puree in a blender
- Clean the lentils and start cooking it on a stove with 1 cup of water and the tomato puree
- Add enough water to the lentils well; add turmeric and salt and set the lentils aside
- Second, in a flat skillet, add 1 tsp of oil and saute the roma tomatoes till it becomes well cooked and pulpy
- Third, take a small cast iron saucepan, add oil and fry the cumin seeds
- Turn off heat and add the Anaheim peppers and curry leaves, mix to seep and fry well
Final Assembly –
- Transfer the cooked lentils to a serving dish
- Add the cooked tomatoes and mix well
- Add the fried seasoning along the sides in a circle
- Next garnish with the coriander leaves in another circle
- Finally add the chopped curry tomatoes in the middle
- Put the lid and let it all steep in the heat
- Serve with rice
Try our other unique dal recipes –