VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE
This dal recipe combines tuvar dal and chaote squash. Moong dal can also be used. This recipe has a total of only 4 ingredients – dal, chaote, tomatoes and basil. It is finished off with a seasoning of cumin seeds with green chillies.
Chaote squash is like a sponge. It absorbs the flavors of the base ingredients and does not alter the taste that much.
Chaote squash can be julienned and used in salads or prepared as a sautee.
Chaote squash also cooks very quickly and, hence, is versatile to add to any dal.
Start off by cooking toor dal – this takes time and is best cooked in a pressure cooker.
Next add the chaote and let it cook in the dal.
Saute plenty of tomatoes in another saute pan along with fresh swirls of basil.
Mix the tomatoes with the dal and tadka with cumin seeds and green chillies.
Garnish with more fresh basil on top.
This is a very simple recipe but packs the nice flavor of basil and the mellow taste of the squash. Enjoy it with rice.
- 1 cup Toor dal Tuvar or Pigeon peas
- 1 cup Chaote squash diced
- 1 cup Tomatoes chopped
- 10 Basil leaves cut into swirls
- 3 Green Chillies slit
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 tsps Oil
- Cook the toor dal in a pressure cook until soft
- Take a sauce pan – add the dal and chaote squash; cook until squash is cooked 5-7 mins tops
- Take another saucepan and add the tomatoes and cook to a pulp
- Now add the tomatoes to the dal, chaote mixture
- Finally take a small saucepan, add oil, cumin seeds and green chillies and fry
- Add it to the dal and mix everything together
- Dal is ready!
Here are some of our Beans and Greens combination recipes –