VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, NUT-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE OPTION
Lovely Spring has come. The cool breezes, beautiful blossoms, and chirping of birds. I truly enjoy spring beyond the fresh weather it brings.
Spring is also perfect for picnics. So let’s start to explore food ideas for those fun days in the park. One dish that lends itself well to picnics is Pasta salad. Moreover, since spring has cooler weather, we don’t have to worry too much about keeping the food cold. A creamy pasta salad will hold good and will be just perfect for some outdoor enjoyment.
Here is a unique pasta dish which can be had warm or cold. Since we were going to have it cold, all the vegetables are kept raw. Thawed green peas, crisp strips of carrots, and sliced mushrooms are all tossed together with simple bow-tie pasta. The sauce is a simple, light, white sauce with olive oil, flour, and almond milk. Finally, bring it all together with heaping scoops of freshly made pesto.
Tip – For a boost of protein, you can add some tofu
Delicate, simple, crunchy pesto pasta salad is just the dish you are looking to take to the next school gathering in the Spring.
Tip – use alternate pasta for a Gluten-free option
Try these are other Pasta dishes for your next gathering –
Orzo ‘fried’ rice with Asparagus
Tangy lemon pasta with roasted corn
Spring vegetables chickpea pasta
Pesto pasta salad
- 2 cups Bow-tie pasta cooked al dente
- 1 cup Green peas fresh or frozen thawed
- 1 cup Carrots diced to thin strips
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Jalapeno sliced
- 1 cup White sauce see link https://nutrosia.com/how-to-the-basics/#whitesauce
- 2 tbsps Pesto see link https://nutrosia.com/how-to-the-basics/#pestorecipe
- 2 tbsps Mozzarella crumbles
- Mix all the ingredients except the pesto and toss to combine
- Add the pesto sauce, check salt and let it rest to absorb the flavors
- Top with mozzarella cheese crumbles
- Serve chilled