As we (hopefully) come to the end of a brutal winter season in the US, I wanted to savor one more soup dish. Soups are our go-to dinner for winter months when everything is dull and gloomy. This soup is just a thin broth. Don’t expect a thick creamy soup but the flavor packed in this broth will keep the taste lingering for many days. In fact while the broth was simmering in the InstantPot, I was cooking another dish in the kitchen and the aroma almost gave me a dizzy, enticing feeling. Miso with plenty of mushrooms raises the ‘umami’ flavor which produces that effect.
I have to quote my dear friend at – http://www.heal-thy-living.co.in – about the goodness of miso.
“Miso is a Japanese condiment made by fermentation of soy paste with salt and koji. Miso brings in a deep umami flavor profile to any dish.”
Of the 5 tastes we can experience, umami is one of them. Others include sour, sweet, salty and bitter. Umami is naturally present in mushroom and soy sauce and is said to provide an addictive and intoxicating effect, hence the reason why artificially created umami flavors such as MSG are bad for you. When using the naturally occurring umami flavors, we enhance the flavor of the dish and yet keep it healthy.
Typically it takes a long time to simmer the broth. This is reduced significantly by using the InstantPot which intensifies the flavors keeping them intact.
Water, soy sauce, miso paste and plenty of mushroom stalks are simmered. Remove all the mushroom stalks and add freshly sliced mushrooms and broccoli and let it absorb the flavors. That is all that takes for this broth soup. Add tofu if you desire to add meatiness. I kept it very simple.
Since this soup is very light, serve it with a good side dish. We enjoyed it with Corn on toast and the combination of mildly seasoned corn and flavorful broth just hit the right spot on a cold winter night !
Miso broth soup with broccoli recipe
For the broth –
- Soy Sauce – 1/2 cup
- Miso paste – 2 tbsps
- Mushroom stalks – 2 cups
- Water – 4 cups
Toppings for the soup –
- Broccoli (small florets) – 2 cups
- Mushrooms (2 types) – 2 cups
- Corn flour – 1 tsp
- Green onions (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Start an InstantPot with all the ingredients for the broth. Ensure the miso paste is well combined in the water. Cook under pressure for 20 minutes.
- Cool the pot, open and remove all the mushroom stalks. Taste the broth and add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle the corn flour and mix well.
- Add the broccoli and fresh sliced mushrooms and put lid on and let it wilt in the heat.
- Before serving garnish with green onions and jalapenos for heat.
1 thought on “Miso broth soup with broccoli”