VEGETARIAN, VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, PEANUT-FREE
Mixing pulses and dried beans with greens is a match meant to be 🙂 This recipe is the second offering in this combination using simple pulses with soft greens.
(Earlier offering was adzuki beans with chards)
Mustard greens and arugula both have a spicy profile among greens and go very well with mixed lentils. These greens are very quick to cook, a reason to use with 5 pulse mix.
This 5 pulse mix is readily available in Indian stores. Any combination can be used to your liking. The pulses in this mix are – red lentils, split green moong, split black urad, yellow moong and toor dal. All these pulses cook reasonably quickly and need no soaking.
Everything in this dish is combination of 5 –
- Mix of 5 pulses
- Seasoning of 5 spices
- Saute of 5 veggies and herbs
- COOK – Start by cooking the pulses in a large cast iron dutchoven with a lid on. When the pulses are almost done, add the finely chopped greens. It will only take 2-3 minutes for the greens to wilt.
- SAUTE – Meanwhile saute the 5 – onions, tomatoes, green chillies and garlic – separately. Add this sautéed mixture to the cooked greens + pulses. Season well with salt.
- SEASON – Finally season 5 spices – cumin, long cumin (bad jeera), fennel seeds, kalonji and a pinch of ajwain. Top off with plenty of finely chopped cilantro (coriander leaves).
Enjoy this dish as a dip with thick cut pita chips. Goes well with rice and roti.
This dish is so simple to make, yet packs a punch of flavor just because of the 2 greens which bring in a superb peppery note.
Mustard and Arugula greens with Pulses recipe
Mixed pulses with Mustard greens and Arugula
- Castiron Dutchoven pot
- 2 cups Mixed Pulses
- 1 bunch Mustard Greens chopped
- 1 bunch Arugula chopped
To Saute –
- 1/2 cup Onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomato chopped
- 4 Green Chillies chopped
- 4 pods Garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp Cilantro finely chopped
To Season –
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Kalonji seeds optional
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Big cumin 'badi jeera'
- pinch Caraway seeds 'ajwain'
- 2 tbsps Oil
- Cook the pulses in a large dutchoven cast iron pot with lid
- Add the greens to the pulses when they are half done and wilt them for 2-3 minutes
- Saute the onions, tomato, green chillies and garlic in a separate skillet
- Add to the pulses and greens mix, season with salt
- Season the spices in the oil and add to the pulses mixes
- Garnish with plenty of cilantro Enjoy !