Continuing with our ‘beans and greens’ combination recipes, this is our 4th offering.
Hint hint – 1st – Adzuki beans, 2nd – Mixed pulses and 3rd – Black-eye peas
Here we are combining chickpeas with beet greens.
When you get beets at the grocery store, sometimes they come with the green tops. Most likely everyone tosses it out…. DONT – the greens are equally healthy and tasty. In fact the greens grow out of the beets and do not have the earthy taste, yet gives the nourishing goodness and mild sweetness of beets.
Note – Chickpeas were soaked overnight.
Just season with cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Toss the chickpea at high heat until it is roasted and almost done. Add the beet greens and toss together. Seasonings is only chaat powder and salt. Make it spicy if you like, I added a habanero and garnished with chopped cilantro. Finally squeeze an entire lemon. The chickpea will turn a beautiful pinkish color by imbibing the beet juices.
Serve this as a salad, or better still, take a whole wheat pita wrap, slather some hummus and fill it with this chickpea salad. A nutritious sandwich is ready. This also works very well for picnic sides. Ah …. The possibilities 🤪
Chickpea and Beet greens warm toss-up
- 2 cups Chickpeas soaked overnight
- 2 cups Beet greens chopped finely
- 1 Habanero chopped
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- 1 tsp Chaat powder or black salt
- Cilantro (coriander leaves) chopped
- Salt to taste
- Take a large frying pan, add olive oil and fry the cumin and fennel seeds until golden brown
- Add the chickpeas, chopped habanero, chopped cilantro and chaat powder and toss on high heat until the chickpeas roasted and almost done
- Add the beet greens and season with salt, toss until the greens have wilted
- Add the lemon juice and mix well
- Serve warm as a side salad or wrapped in pita bread