VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE
Who is not a huge fans of the simple and fresh spring rolls or veggie rolls prepared in a variety of Asian cuisines. We all have enjoyed them as Thai Basil rolls or Vietnamese fresh rolls.
Here we are venturing into our maiden attempt making them at home. The truth – it was always intimidating with the outer thin rice paper wrapper that looks so fragile yet so perfect … that we were not sure we had the finesse to handle it 😇
Recently we came across brown rice spring roll wrappers and that was the final push for us to try making these at home. Brown rice wrappers fall right into our ‘mantra’ of whole grain food choices.
So lets now talk about the filling – keeping it very simple – fresh cabbage, carrots and cooked rice noodles. Bring in tofu for some protein. All we did was to toss everything with salt and simple 5 spice seasoning. A jalapeño will add a good touch of heat … if preferred!
Start an assembly line –
1. A flat bottomed plate with an edge (Add some warm water so that the rice paper can be immersed in it)
2. A large cutting board to wrap the rolls
3. The filling
Take one rice paper, immerse it both sides in the warm water, as it softens, transfer it to the cutting board. Take a spoonful of the filling and wrap it tight sealing completely. Continue this process for all the rice papers.
The process although seemed daunting initially turned out to be extremely simple and straightforward.
TIP – For a fussy eater or a young kid, try air frying these rolls with some oil sprayed on them. They came out delicious and we had rolls of 2 types 🙂
We served the rolls with a spicy peanut sauce.
Asian veggie rolls
- 20 Brown Rice spring roll wrappers
For the Filling –
- 1 cup Cabbage finely shredded
- 1 cup Carrots finely shredded
- 1 cup Rice noodles cooked
- 1 cup Tofu finely sliced
- 1 tsp 5-spice seasoning powder
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling and set aside
- Take a rice paper wrapper, dip it in warm water and move it to a cutting board
- Quickly fill a teaspoonful of filling, close the sides and roll from bottom to top, sealing all edges completely
- The veggie rolls are ready to enjoy as is.
- Variation – spray a little oil around the prepared rolls and air-fry them at 380 degrees for 10-15 minutes until crisp
1 thought on “Asian veggie rolls”