VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE
Khichdi is a comforting Indian dish akin to Grilled cheese sandwich or Chicken noodle soup. Khichdi usually combines rice and lentils with vegetables of choice and some simple seasonings. It is a one-pot dish that warms you up inside and out… like a warm hug… MMM 🤗
This khichdi is unique in that it combined red rice with green whole moong dal. It is also special for any festivals since it combines variety of distinct colors – YELLOW, RED and GREEN 😆
So what does it take – 20 minutes in the InstantPot… that’s it!
Start the pot, season with cumin and some simple spices – remember this is very comforting, so nothing too overbearing. Everything is kept simple! Add vegetables, add the rice and dal and cook (with water!) I also did a version with plain corn in the place of mixed vegetables. This is totally up to your preference of veggies, anything can go in a khichdi!
Enjoy this with some simple chips or a spicy Indian pickle. Plus some yogurt… of course! Its perfect for these cold night suppers.
- Red rice provides the robust whole grain, nice chewy texture
- Green Moong is a good source of protein and easy to digest
- Corn brings in the sweetness and carb
Red rice and Moong dal khichdi
- 1 cup Red Rice
- 1 cup Moong dal – whole
- 1 cup Mixed vegetables – potatom carrot, peas, beans OR corn
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 tbsp Garam masala optional
- Green chillies
- Curry leaves
- Ginger grated
- Cilantro stalks chopped
- 2 tbsps Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 pieces Bay leaves
- Start the InstantPot on Saute
- Add all the seasoning items and fry for 2 mins
- Add all the aromatics and stir for 1 min
- Add the rest of ingredients, 5 cups of water
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes
- Let it cool down for 15 minutes, release pressure and adjust spice and salt
- It will be a creamy italian-risotto like consistency
1 thought on “Red rice and Moong dal khichdi”
Really easy and simple to make. Thanks for sharing. You can also try this Easy Dal khichdi Recipe also.